Fly Fusion Forums

A 'trude

ladystrange

i got a little crazy on the calfs tail with this one. you could probably do with 1/2 that amount.

this is a great pattern for the carbondale and castle river basins for cutts.

it is very visable even in the foam and stays afloat very well even without gink or bugfloat

i think i used furnace hackle on this one

Very nice fly. It appears to represent a sedge of some type. Is this correct or is it tied up as something else?

sort of a sedge. it can have the movement of a sedge if you skate it across the water, expecially when mending. but to be honest. i got the pattern from a friend who got it from a shop in the town nearest to the rivers he fishes, and they got it from an oldtimer in the area.

i don't even know what the name of the pattern is. i just copied the pattern from the original fly from the shop.

i'm not sure if it is even supposed to be a sedge. all i know is that it works when nothing else will but mostly for cutthroats and rainbows.

tie up a few and let me know how it works on your side of the pond

Guest bigbadbrent

its definitly a Trude, you can get them in different colors (like a royal wulff, lime etc) and they're named for their color, then Trude (Green trude, peacock trude, royal trude, lime trude (most popular) etc) and they represent caddis, stoneflies (lime sallys in green), mayflies in smaller sizes..

2204.jpgltrude.jpg etc

I will most certainly have a go at tying some. Will fish them and let you know. Please don't expect much as my fishing is almost as poor as my flytying - lousy HUH!!! Will post you my results.

Regards

Geoff

Your tying poor? I think not Jeff :rolleyes:

Please don't expect much as my fishing is almost as poor as my flytying - lousy HUH!!! Will post you my results.

Regards

Geoff

i don't believe you. i've heard otherwise on both accounts. lol definately let me know how it works out. i am curious. this pattern works very well for me on small streams even when there isn't a hatch on. maybe BECAUSE there isn't a hatch. i don't know. i have used it on the bow, but no success with it yet.