Fly Fusion Forums

Stand Up Paddle Board Fly Fishing... Thoughts?

Roast

I watched some of the video. Enough to watch the guy almost fall over right at the start.

Why is this discussion even taking place? This is patently a dangerous device for fishing on rivers or any of our lakes where howling winds can start without warning.

At the risk of pissing people off, this is utterly insane ... X19.

Just another yuppy "trinket of the week!"

Go crazy and buy two or three.

I have seen them on the Elk a few times and the people on the boards had no problem running the fast skinnier water. I believe they are going to become very popular. We need to remember we dont own the river and anybody else has equal rights to the water.

Hey Kevbine

I was in Jackson Florida .

I found paddle boarding the flats to be very useful to spot tailing redfish in the grass! These boards are a lot more stable then most would think. The biggest challenge is just switching from your paddle to your rod which is placed between your feet.

Guest Sneaky

This is my first post here, but i just thought i should throw in my 2 cents.

Those that are making it seem like its a death sentence, without having any prior experience on a board themselves, really shouldnt be making them out that way. Just because you've seen videos doesnt mean you've become an expert on them. I havnt personally been on one myself, but that doesnt mean im going to tell people not to try it. For a first timer though, it seems like a river isnt the best place to start. Thats a no brainer, similar to the woman who almost drowned. That was a case of natural selection, not the board putting her life in danger. Attaching a tether to yourself in a river is an air headed decision. No life jacket plays a huge part in that as well.

Dont knock it until you try it.

If you have the right board and are semi athletic, and maybe a background in canoe or kayaking, you will be fine starting out on the river. River boards and very wide and have rounded edges: this makes them stable and not "catchy" when going across different currents. I have been out with several first timers and there have very few wipeouts. I am talking about gentle sections of the Elk, class 1-2. Not the sections with 90 degree corners into logjams. The kind that sunk a few driftboats and pontoons last summer, yes stay away from those if you're a novice!

Paula: tailing redfish, that sounds amazing! I rented a flats skiff for a couple days in the Keys in April, we're gonna look for tarpon and other critters so it should be interesting, having never poled a skiff before...

What about us weight forward, age challenged dudes. I can’t think of a better way of plunging deep into the Bow and doing research on the bottom than one of those boards. Sorry I can't even picture myself on one of those 2 X 4's. Definitely for the young crowd. :D

• Like 1