Fly Fusion Forums

Float Tubes: Round Tube Vs. U-Tube

Hi Folks,

Been reading the forum for a couple weeks now, great resource for a BCer now living in AB.

I'm in the market for another float tube. I've used a Caddis truck tire round tube for years in BC and really don't mind any of the cons (sitting lower in the water). I tried an Outcast Fish Cat 4 one time and found that the wind blew me around way too much. The U-tubes seem to be all the rage these days.

Anyone else find these high sitting Fish Cats or others get blown around in the wind too much or was I just having a bad day?

I'd rather not use an anchor. Any other suggestions for "modern" float tubes, round or u-tube, that don't get blown around in the wind? I see Wholesale Sports still sells a round tube Caddis I might go for.

Thanks,

Chris

I used a round tube for years. Switched to a Fish Cat 4 about 4 years ago. I will never go back to a round tube. Fish cat is a way more maneuverable, plus you sit much higher out of the water (warmer). Fish cat is also a lot quicker for long distance travelling. I also store a dry bag in the space behind the seat so I can take more clothes/food/equipment with me than I could with a round tube.

I fish with an 8lb anchor....just cause I like to catch lots of fish (rarely troll). My friends with pontoon boats use their Fish cat 4's 10x more than their pontoon boats (way less wind problems and faster setup time).

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i love my fish cat 4 as i can bring my lunch, a jacket, extra sweater, net, an anchor and rope plus more with the v part of the front (use a dry bag). The seat back can be reclined for catching a few rays.

i do agree that is it more prone to the wind push but i would not use it on a lake that i could not walk around in a few minutes.

but as you are sitting higher up you do keep warmer longer.

I used a round tube for years,before u-tubes were even invented.Had alot of fun with it back then,but I'd never buy another donut boat.IMO,the u-boats are the "new and improved" version of a good old idea,sit higher,drier,warmer,easy access.....that alone (access)is reason enuf for me to never go back to a round model,I found it to be a realy awkward PITA getting in and out of a round tube with fins on,then having to wade backwards until you're deep enough to float,which on some lakes can be a fair distance.With u-boats it's much simpler to just wade out waist deep,sit down and then put fins on.