Fly Fusion Forums

Building A Bamboo Rod

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Does anyone have a bamboo rod? What have you caught with it and what kind of extra maintenance does one require?

Have you had to repair it?

globalflyfisher has a whole series of how to build a bamboo rod. See articles by Harry Boyd.

As far as maintenance, dry after use, clean guides every now and then, keep ferrules clean and fish it.

Can they be fixed. Yes,. I sold a guy a rod who liked to fall down lots. Over the summer it was back 4 times for breaks. Rods can't support 250 lbs.

Do they limit your catch - that depends. I use graphite for rods 7 weight and better. Bamboo for lighter lines, more accurate casting and technical fishing.

Catch ya,

Don

• Like 1

Love Bamboo and fish it often. Have a variety of them of different weights and lengths. Have caught most game fish species. A couple of the rods have fished through three generations of my family and are still great rods. Kind of funny, the only rod I’ve ever broken in my 63 years was a recently purchased high tec $800 model. Never had a bamboo go on me.

I've got a friend up here that restores / builds them - he almost fishes exclusively with bamboo - it's pretty impressive what he can do with one of them. If you want, PM your email Sun, and I'll get him to contact you - Like most bamboo guys, he loves talking about bamboo almost as much as he loves fishing with it, LOL.