Fly Fusion Forums

Binders

mikefromsundre

It was suggested that I start this topic after a reply to the question about fly tying books. How many people use a binder or perhaps a diary to keep records, photos, fly photos, fly samples, fly recipes, etc. in?

I have added to Neil Jenning's Trout Flies of Alberta and SE BC (?), a white binder of fly photos and recipes. By adding to it, it has become a book suited to me, my fishing and my tying. It is in many ways my Bible now for tying. I have put my own pages in with prints outs from web sites, photos and recipes of my own fly patterns, notes on tying and fishing, recipe cards with flies taped to them and even samples of tying materials taped to the pages. I am suprised that no one else ever thought of publishing recipes in a binder format. My only complaint about the book was that the original photos I did not think were that great. In this day of digital photos many of the fly photos were poor quality and against a hard to see yellow background. The material contained in it though is of great value to anyone fishing and tying in Alberta.

When I first started tying, I did keep a binder of patterns I picked up. I would draw the fly list the materials and add tying instructions... That got old fast. It was a lot of work. When i need to keep a pattern now, I tie up a prototype and put it into a piece of foam I have on the wall to keep track of patterns. I label them with a name and when I need to reference them, i just pull it out.

For patterns I don't use much, the flysource program is great at keeping track of them. BTW, you can swap the .fly files on here and on flyangler.ca. That and all the databases on line can give me pretty much anything I need. One other book to consider having is the compendium of canadian fly patterns. It have a massive collection of patterns inside.

I have all kinds of stuff I have printed off and collected. Every time I clean out my desk I end up with a larger pile so yeah I can put it in a binder and keep it together. I should have done that some time ago.

I cannot save stuff to a file on my computer then read it off the screen when I need it, I have to have the paper, I think it is easier to read for me. I never was able to enjoy reading alot of dialogue off the screen.

I collect alot of notes etc. from articles and even from magazines that I don't want to tear apart so I photocopy it and store it away. Persoanlly I like the binder idea. If for nothing else than bringing order to chaos.....and I like paper.