Fly Fusion Forums

Wading And Knees

fishpro

Has anyone heard if there are any long term risks of knee problems associated with wading in fast water? I'm curious if having heavy current against the side of the leg would put unnatural pressure on your knees. I've never heard anything about it, but was wondering if it would be wise to wear some sort of brace as a precaution.

I'm no doctor but every doc I've heard on the subject says the more you use something the stronger it gets in the human body. Using your knee to stabilize in the water would probably strengthen it, not the opposite. Walking and then after the walk giving your knee some "hydrotherapy" should be good for it one would think.

Ah, depends on which way you focus. You could conceivably over-develop one set of muscles while neglecting the opposing muscles, creating an imbalance and some pain. Other things can happen too - like walking perpetually side slope - where you strain / overwork something in there. I know when I spent every day in the canyon I used to get out knee pains.

Ah, depends on which way you focus. You could conceivably over-develop one set of muscles while neglecting the opposing muscles, creating an imbalance and some pain. Other things can happen too - like walking perpetually side slope - where you strain / overwork something in there. I know when I spent every day in the canyon I used to get out knee pains.

Is that like drinking Scotch and having a muscular right arm? :)

• Like 1