Fly Fusion Forums

Taking Some Boys Fishing

Lake or stream?! What is the skill level of everyone?

There are some stocked ponds around that might be ok (presuming that the 9 y/o is relatively unskilled, but I could be wrong)...

Grotto, Spruce Meadows (if there isn;t an event on) sibbald, the pond in Cochrane, etc. Upper K, maybe?

There is always the bow (in and south of Calgary)!!

At age nine I think the biggest factor to keep them interested is numbers more so than size or species. Fall is a great time to learn to flyfish as there are many smaller creeks with an abundance of whitefish that will be more than willing to grab a nymph, even if there is a little drag (or even alot of drag, or an extreme amount of drag)

Tie up a bunch of size 16 Pheasant tails with fine red ribbing, worms etc and have a ball. Try the sections of river with deep pools. There are some deeper pools on the Highwood downstream of Longview that get full of whitefish and lot's of casting room, same with much of the sheep.

Let them have a few double digit days on wide gravel bars with no tree's to get snagged in and move to more technical streams if they get keen.

Rob

I am taking my 9 y.o and a few of his friends fishing this week-end. The problem is that I don't knbow where to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks

With the age and amount of kids you will be taking out I would suggest hitting some of the stocked ponds, they usaly have areas suited to want you are looking for.

Maclean pond is a great spot with a store meters away. Safe for kids.

If you don't mind fishing with bait, pick up some frozen smelts from Superstore

and take them to Pine Coulee. It's just west of Stavley and is pretty much a fish

a cast for 14-15" Walleye. Gets em hooked on fishing then you introduce fly fishing

next year.

any number of small streams with cutts. the higher up in most systems results in more fish (albiet smaller fish) but usually every decent looking bathtub sized hole has 5 eager small cutts, the bigger holes are "par 10's" where you usually get ten hits. It's where I take my kids... though I wont disclose the exact stream I like there are many, many like it that have eager cutts. Close to Calgary, for example, the far upper highwood system and it's various tribs are good... (take bear spray). Enjoy.