Fly Fusion Forums

Shipman's Buzzer

Tuppsincomprehensible

Best fished hanging in the surface film. A truly wonderful pattern the simplicity of which is in stark contrast to it's complex fish taking ability.

Tying Materials

Hook: To suit yourself. I will demonstrate on a Fulling Mill Easy AP Light Size 18.

Thread: UTC70 Yellow

Body: Fibres from a hares mask used as dubbing. You may use dubbing colour and materail type to suit the tastes of your fish. Vary the thread colour to suit. Yelow works well with hares ear dubbing because it will not change the colour of the dubbed fur when wet.

Rib: Fine silver wire

Breathers and shuck: White or pearl savage hair

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the hook in the vice with point protruding. Catch in the yellow thread and trim off waste.

Step1securehookcatchthread.jpg

Step 2: Catch in a length of fine silver wire and wind back the thread to a point approximately 1/3rd down the length of the shank.

Step2catchinfinewire.jpg

Step 3: Select a few savage hair fibres, pinch them tight between your finger and thumb.

Step3selectandcutpearlhair.jpg

Step 4: Secure the savage hair along the hook shank with a few touching turns of thread.

Step4catchinsavagehair.jpg

Step 5: Wind back to a point just in front of the bend of the hook in touching turns. The body thus far should be slim and parallel.

Step5windbackthread.jpg

Step 6: Pinch out some fibres from a hairs mask. You may choose to use a dubbing rake. I use finger and thumb. Ensure to get as broad a mix of colours as available and include a few guard hairs.

Step6tearouthairsmask.jpg

Step 7: Form a dubbing rope using the hairs face fur. The rope should be slender.

Step7winddubbingrope.jpg

Step 8: Build a body by winding the fur up the hook. With practice you will be able to vary body thicknesses and tapers.

Step8windbody.jpg

Step 9: Form a rib by winding the silver wire in open turns. Tie in the wire behind the eye and burn off by rotating the wire.

Step9windribbingandtiein.jpg

Step 10: Whip finish and cut off the thread end. A small spot of varnish will seal the head.

Step10burnofribwhipfinishandvarnish.jpg

Tying continues in part 2

Nice tie, Tupps! (I prefer the blue silk one myself)

Funnily enough I was rattling some of these up this afternoon for a little outing tomorrow along with some size 16 Hare's Ear Paras and Black and Copper wire buzzers in the same size.

Folks, Tupps is a Tackle Tart! Note the exclusive and unashamed usage of C&F paraphernalia!

What kind of tool is that you are using and yes I know I am leaving myself wide open...but I like gadgets and stuff and I must have one!

It is a dubbing needle manufactured by C+F Designs of Japan. They cost about £20.00 over here. I am sorry but I am a bit wooly on exchange rates from UK Sterling to Can$. If you have a look around but cannot find one let me know. I will pick one up for you and mail it over. I will of course require an address.

Kind Regards

Geoff

ooo, i'm fur and feather fluff. yep that fits. lol

exchange is about 2.03 last time i checked, end of sept average for the month.

i'd like one too but alas, i dont need one, i bought a tool just for scruffing up dubbing a troutfitters Kerry - $7. doesnt have the bodkin/dubbing needle but it is like a very fine round file - i can think of a better comparison, but not in mixed company, think spurred, male and feline but smaller

ooo, i'm fur and feather fluff. yep that fits. lol

exchange is about 2.03 last time i checked, end of sept average for the month.

i'd like one too but alas, i dont need one, i bought a tool just for scruffing up dubbing a troutfitters Kerry - $7. doesnt have the bodkin/dubbing needle but it is like a very fine round file - i can think of a better comparison, but not in mixed company, think spurred, male and feline but smaller

Ouch!

I got a freebie from Peak with my vice, the Ritt Pick'n'Brush, handy little thing as it beats the ass off of velcro bands! My 'new' dubbing needle is a home made effort as a lot of my tools are, made from a sewing machine needle and a slim handle from an old threading tool, I don't see the point in paying out loads of money for something you can knock up from scrap, ie my bobbin threader tool - made from an old guitar string and an offcut of brass tubing and some epoxy - does the job nicely!

One thing I do not skimp on are scissors, they have to be good quality and I am currently using Tiemco ones after a few other substitutes such as cuticle scissors and embroidery scissors which served the pupose but are now superceded.

Knowing Tupps, he has the elite tooling for his fly tying and uses it to great advantage as well demonstrated by his SBSs, mind you as things improve at my bench, he had better watch out!