Fly Fusion Forums

Duncan Bc

Hey,

I'm in Duncan (on the island) for the week. I have to work a bit but should have at least 1 or 2 days where I can slip out fishing.

I have fished the cowichan river before when I've been here (around Skutz falls) and was thinking to head back there and hike above the falls (they have closed below the falls!)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm somewhat limited as I have my family with me (including 4 small kids) so can only get out for relatively short bursts at a time.

Also, I have both a 5 wt and 7wt rod with me ^^

thanx!

you are probably looking for a fishing response but the only places i have fished are on the gold river and in campbell river, a few hours to the north and not condusive for a quick trip with limited time.

if you cant find anything fishing wise, i suggest the forestry museum. very good, full of history, good way to kill a few hours and teach the kids something.

I grew up fishing there. The trestle south of Lake Cowicahn on down would be my favourite stretch. Check at Bucky's in Duncan, the Kennets have been their fishing all of their lives and can help you out.

Shawnigan Creek used to be good in the Fall but I haven't seen it for some time. Same with the Chemainus River. I don't suppose you have a tube or anything? Somenoes Lake can be good as well.

If you go up to Cowichan Lake itself you may still be able to fish where the river comes out or go out past Youbou and fish the mouth of Cottonwood Creek.

To be honest though, that stretch of river above Skutz is one of the best places. If you have some large woolly buggers or a crayfish type fly, sweep them under log jams and undercuts. Wish I was there I love the place, should never have left....Kerry

Thanks Kerry!

I appreciate your help. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try and snap some photos too. Mind you the forecast is for rain all week, so I'm not sure if I'll be taking my digital camera out or not.

I love it out here too. I've been visiting for the past few years now and would move here in a heartbeat. I have been spending time in maple bay and just discovered genoa bay yesterday. It's just beautiful.

Plus there seems to be a multitude of fishing possibilities that I could spend years and years learning about. It probably won't be this trip, but I'd love to go fish for sea-run cutts when i get a bit more time.

thanks again!

I hope it turns out for you! There used to be a way down under the bridge by Mill Bay....can't remember if it is on the north side or south side of the Island Hwy where it goes through the edge of town there. But at anyrate you cross a good sized stream (Millstream??) Anyway if they haven't built that up you may still be able to walk down to the estuary there and fish searuns if they have not closed it. Let us know how it works out.

Update:

Well, i checked into the Mill Bay estuary, and it's closed. But guy at Bucky's told me to check out Cherry Point Beach for sea-runs and coho. So, I checked it out and.... well, I didn't catch any coho or cutts. Though there were some nice coho rising within 20 feet of me at times, up to 20lbs. I cought quite a few sole and sculpin, mostly small. I guess it's still a bit early for coho, but I'm going to try again if I have time.

I must say it was a blast just fly fishing in the ocean for the first time! Just trying it out made the trip.

I still plan on making it to the cow river, so we'll see how it goes!

Hey Brewingup. I just spent most of September on the island fishing the salt. The best flies I found for coho were small clousers in chartreuse and white and hot pink and white, about 2-3 inches long. Small pearl mickys and white wizards also got some action. Strip rate and fly depth were often very important to getting action as well. A couple of times I had gotten fed up with no coho and had let the fly sink deep and was stripping slowly trying for some flounder when bang! there was a coho. Searun cutts ALL hit the hot pink. I never would have guessed. Have fun and keep the updates coming.

Update:

Well, i have just finished having a couple celebratory brews, and here's why....

I came out here hopeful to get out fishing. I was super hopeful to catch maybe a sea-run cut. I never expected to actually hook into a coho. Not to mention on my own hot pink fly inventions (i have only tying for about a month)

my first coho, my second day on the ocean flyfishing, one of the best times ever!!!

IMG_5842.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5877.jpg

I can now return home to calgary.

haha i knew i would get it for the waders.

there was a small school just out of my reach but i think the guy in the boat inadvertently scared them closer to me. I followed some suggestions and casted out, waited, then did some slow stripping then bang!

Here's the fly I tied. It's pretty much a combo of a couple different flies another guy showed me:

IMG_5895.jpg

i think I get to go out again today if you can believe it!!