Fly Fusion Forums

Mayfly Tips

Gil

I've been tying a lot of 18/20 BWOs and PMDs recently and have been goofing around trying to do a better job on the tails. For awhile I was using various feathers but didn't quite like the effect. I then tried micro fibrils but at first couldn't get them to flare the way I wanted. Had tried putting a wrap under the fibrils (saw it on utube) but again couldn't make it work. Then i tried tying a small thread ball at the base. Laid the fibrils against the ball and then wrapped thread behind the ball. Got exactly the flare i was looking for.

The other thing i noticed was that the micro fibrils a bought looked exactly like the bristles i saw on on of my nylon brushes. I have enough material from one brush to last years. Perhaps these tips are old news for the more experienced tiers but for me it was a mini breakthrough I thought I'd pass along....

Micro fibbets are great, but trail coq de leon. Mottled look, and very fine. Easy to work with small hooks. As to the flaring of the tail, tie at the bend of the hook. Two wraps working back towards the bend of the hook, third wrap go around the hook and back over the 2nd wrap to tighten up.

Thanks I'll try it...

Thanks for starting this type of topic... I for one try what I may to replicate what I see, and man.. I have such a long way to go when it comes to fine dry flies... always seem so bulky.. Welders finger lol... "just get a bigger hammer" .. mentality i figure..

One thing that I hope is going to help me, and just thought maybe i will share is a book I picked up called "A.K.'s Fly Box"...

(Best) I happened upon it and reading about him in JG's short stories and books etc.. I hummed and hawed over it for a couple of weeks... then pounced lol... he really does explain an awful lot, very well.. which is great for someone who has many questions like myself.. may not be the answer you're looking for Gil , yet thought I would share.... as he spends lots of time on Mayflies..i hope it helps ya in anyway it may