Fly Fusion Forums

Banff Backcountry Hiking And Fishing Trip Pt 3

reevesr1

After a short scramble and climb, this was our first view of the lake:

p1040576jd.jpg

We arrived and rigged up. Everyone put on a dry except me. I wanted to catch one for my son on one of his nymph ties. Second cast gets this:

p1040583p.jpg

I see troutlover finish rigging up, and say "first cast, lake don't let me down!", shortly followed by the first of many, many "YUUUUPPPP!!"s of the day. These Yellowstone cutts are the prettiest fish I've ever caught (ok, except MahiMahi). Several of us were fishing the same bay, with troutlover really cleaning up at first as we all figure everything out. Foothills had a moment of panic as it took him a few minutes to tie into one, but once he did he caught fish after fish. As t-lover was leaving he said that the game he plays is to try to count the number of consecutive casts with fish. I could not do that, but after I'd stood on the same rock for an hour, dfb went just down wind (down drift) from me and started casting. He asked "how far are you letting it drift" I said "I don't know, I let it drift until I hook a fish. It's probably been an hour since the last cast that didn't hook one!" I have no idea how many we caught. Several hundred between the 7 of us. Dry flys took the vast majority of the fish, but if you wanted the bigger boys and girls, a wolly bugger was utterly deadly.

p1040585a.jpg

p1040587x.jpg

p1040588b.jpg

Foothills with a nice fish!

p1040598y.jpg

p1040599m.jpg

p1040602q.jpg

Saying goodbye to the best lake on the planet! Or at least as far as we know.....

p1040603z.jpg

And finally, for bobloblaw. Sorry you couldn't make it buddy!

p1040612k.jpg

We then hiked back to the cabin exhausted. There was talk about maybe doing some creek fishing, and maybe Egypt, but we just ended up drinking all of biggy's whiskey and troutlovers rum (rum and koolaid, yum), playing some card game (where I was the president and never dethroned-sorry for the mixed metaphor), and falling blissfully into sleep at around 10:30. The hike out was uneventful, with a big uphill grind to start (3 KM about 200m elevation gain in 45 minutes to start our day), a quick fish on fish lake again (it was a bit better this time, but the fish were still spooky!) and the hike back to the parking lot. As I said off the top, I could not have asked for a better group of people to spend the weekend with. Can't wait to do it again. I'm scouting a lake in BC in about 10 days!!

On the ridge above fish lake on the way out. Deb and Uber were lagging us a bit!! From left to right, a very sweaty yours truly, foothills86, DFB, BiggyJ (or Recon as we know him now), and Troutlover. I think Uber has a shot of the entire group.

p1040605x.jpg

BTW, Tex: stop posting those dang gigantic pictures! When the bar at the top of yer photo says "Reduced: 14% of original size", they are too big; takes forever for your posts to load up on my slow-arse computer.

When you upload 'em on Imageshack, click on "Image resize" & pick "640 x 480(for message boards)"; much better! :clap:

Thanks.

Yer pal,

Steve