Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Casting

Guest Rocknbugs

Guest Rocknbugs

I want to get into Spey Casting. Any suggestions on equipment that I should buy ei, rod, reel, line etc.?

It looks like alot of fun and I would assume that a guy would need a few pointers here and there to eh!!!

My suggestion would be to learn a few basic casts on your single handed rod or on someone else's setup first. The TFO Deer Creek sells a lot of setups here because it is less expensive than most brands, and can be easily setup for fishing the Bow. Both The Fishin Hole and Fish Tales carry the rod, but when I bought my rod Fish Tales also had some experienced spey casters to help set up the rod.

• 4 weeks later...

I missed this post the first time I guess.

As Cheeler mentioned, the TFO Deer Creek 12'6" 5/6wt. is a good rod for trout Speying. I use mine for all fishing methods including high sticking, indicator nymphing, streamers and even large dry flys

such as a #10 Skid Bitch and swinging all down and across presentations. I also have the same DC series in the 13' 7/8 wt. which I have used on the Bow as well. It will cast a 90'-100' with ease and yet it is still sensitive enough to feel smaller 16" trout. There are many good videos to get you started and then you can hook up with some of the Spey guys here at FFC and get a few pointers on the water and/or sign up for the next instructional clinic in the spring.

This season, I have hardly used my single handers (I have about a dozen collecting dust) and even used the DC 12'6" 5/6 when I fished the Crowsnest last weekend. It was great for high sticking and really helped controling the fly and line in the strong winds. I also own the TFO Pro series 12' 6" 6wt. which I absolutely love to fish with. I have it set up with a Scandinavian shooting head and it is a well balance fishing rig.

I would recommend starting with the DC 12'6" 5/6wt. with an Airflow 6/7wt. Delta multi tip line. Get a 12 wt. reel that you can use for any larger rods/lines that you might consider buying in the future. Fish tales have Tiogas that work well and I personally really like the Pfleuger Trion 1912 or the President series 2012, available at Wholesale sports.

Just ask if you have more q's.

Hi Rocknbugs,

The guys are all giving you good advice, and ask any questions everybody will try and help out.

My advice would be to try and get out casting with some of the Spey nutters on the forum if you can, it can cut down your learning time and be great fun.

Maybe post where you normally fish, there might be a Speycaster near you that you can learn from, when you get the basic's down its not that complicated otherwise i would'nt be able to do it.

Good luck

Gordon.

I would say that you can go out right now and spey cast with whatever rod/rig you are using. From there its just like regular casting you purchase to suit your demands. But I would say that you might as well practice some single hand spey stuff as thats gonna give you some ideas on line dynamics and the actual workings of a spey cast..... then you might be able to tell whether you want to get into the 2 handed stuff more or push the limits of the single hand stuff or both. Look for some vids of spey casting (online) and you should be able to find some examples of both single and double handed casts. I found that this can help you see the timing and the technique..... Once you are into it the ideal setups are going to heavily depend on what you want to do..... seems there is no perfect all around spey setup. On one of the spey forums (a great resource) there was a thread about # of spey rods owned and most of these guys had dozens of setups as different rods work better with different lines and different lines suit different conditions..... it all seems pretty complicated but..... thats spey I guess..... My first setup which I feel will suit most of my needs when the line is available is the G loomis metolius 5/6 trout spey 13'4" with a airflo skagit at 420 grains...... NOW if I could just get some time to set the rod up and actually get out casting......

Guest bigbadbrent

With regards to the many rods out there they all have many applications, skagit style, scandi style and traditional. Every rod casts different with different people, just try some and see what works better for you....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rocknbugs

I have now put a Spey rod/reel/line on the old X-mas list, heres the deal would any of you Spey casters be interested in hooking up with me sometime on the river and maybe let me try it out or perhaps a little technique lesson, let me watch you or something like that. I have only ever seen 1 guy doing it before and it looked like alot of fun, anyways im all over this *hit boys/girls, let me know.

Rock.