Fly Fusion Forums

Tv Fish Handling

When there is nothing good on the shopping channel I sometimes I watch the gear fishing shows on WFN and am always appalled by the fish handling. For example I recently saw Henry "The Poacher" Waszcuk lift a big snook out of the water by a gill plate, hold it vertical, and then switch to horizontal with his fingers visibly touching the gills. Most of the pike and walleye seem to get lifted vertically by a gill plate as well. Finally, the bass bubbas always lift the fish by the bottom jaw, hold em vertical and then just drop them back in without even leaning over. My question--are all these other fish way tougher than trout or are these guys idiots.

When there is nothing good on the shopping channel I sometimes I watch the gear fishing shows on WFN and am always appalled by the fish handling. For example I recently saw Henry "The Poacher" Waszcuk lift a big snook out of the water by a gill plate, hold it vertical, and then switch to horizontal with his fingers visibly touching the gills. Most of the pike and walleye seem to get lifted vertically by a gill plate as well. Finally, the bass bubbas always lift the fish by the bottom jaw, hold em vertical and then just drop them back in without even leaning over. My question--are all these other fish way tougher than trout or are these guys idiots.

WAY tougher. Bass have been catch and release for many years now in many lakes. Populations are in very good shape, at least in the lakes I know of. Pretty damn hard to kill a bass. Contrary to what many trout fishermen believe, the bass guys care about their fish just as much as the trout fishermen do, Bubba's or not.

I've fished saltwater my whole life. Catch and release is not catching on as fast as it did in freshwater for a variety of reasons. Biggest is how rapid these in shore species can repopulate. If there is no commercial fishing content, and intelligent limits, managing population really isn't all that tough. There are more fish on the gulf coast now, particularly redfish (which incidentally is the most released fish on the gulf coast) than at any point in my life. While it looks rough to the trout guy, these fish are way more hardy and can take rougher handling. The caveat to that (pretty nice word for a bubba, eh?) is depth. Catching fish in deep water requires some special handling (deflating the swim bladder) to ensure survival of the fish. I've seen lines of dying undersized red snapper because the party boat captain did not teach his fishermen how to deflate. Stupid and sad.

That said, as more people practice catch and release the trend is for more gently handling, albeit slowly. The guys on TV could help with that. Remember that most of us ate everything we caught until relatively recently. I don't necessarily expect the tournament fisherman to handle as gently as tv personality due to the competitive aspect, but the straight up tv guys could do a better job imho. It's not that difficult to handle gently, and while it isn't as much of a necessity as it is freshwater, doing it on camera would make a nice example.

Guest NamasteMushroom

You can hold a pike safely in the gill area by sliding your hand in a small area behind the gills; if done incorrectly you'll land your hand on the wrong side, near the gills and gill rakers (the wounds and scars will ensure you don't make this mistake again).

I've lip locked lots of bass as well, and they are a tough fish (compared to trout).

The one really bad thing I've seen on WFN is anglers holding fish vertically by the neck of the tail.......and of course the Bogarts who like to explain their methods for several minutes (fish in hand) before they release.

Guest NamasteMushroom
WAY tougher. Bass have been catch and release for many years now in many lakes. Populations are in very good shape, at least in the lakes I know of. Pretty damn hard to kill a bass. Contrary to what many trout fishermen believe, the bass guys care about their fish just as much as the trout fishermen do, Bubba's or not.

I've fished saltwater my whole life. Catch and release is not catching on as fast as it did in freshwater for a variety of reasons. Biggest is how rapid these in shore species can repopulate. If there is no commercial fishing content, and intelligent limits, managing population really isn't all that tough. There are more fish on the gulf coast now, particularly redfish (which incidentally is the most released fish on the gulf coast) than at any point in my life. While it looks rough to the trout guy, these fish are way more hardy and can take rougher handling. The caveat to that (pretty nice word for a bubba, eh?) is depth. Catching fish in deep water requires some special handling (deflating the swim bladder) to ensure survival of the fish. I've seen lines of dying undersized red snapper because the party boat captain did not teach his fishermen how to deflate. Stupid and sad.

That said, as more people practice catch and release the trend is for more gently handling, albeit slowly. The guys on TV could help with that. Remember that most of us ate everything we caught until relatively recently. I don't necessarily expect the tournament fisherman to handle as gently as tv personality due to the competitive aspect, but the straight up tv guys could do a better job imho. It's not that difficult to handle gently, and while it isn't as much of a necessity as it is freshwater, doing it on camera would make a nice example.

Did I just see you at MEC an hour ago...new back pack?

Guest NamasteMushroom
Interesting, thanks. Sorry bout the bubba thing.

I've always used the term 'Reggies'.

That said, I have a secret love for Buzz Bombs.

You did. Renting a backpack for a backcountry fishing trip this weekend. Will be handling cutties gently!

Finished packing mine last night, willbe nice to hit the mountains and meet some new people.

Bought a new line last night as well....... 6 feet from the tip is a big factory defect.....

Guess ill have to return it, glad i noticed it now and not once we were on the lake.

Watch out for that troutlover guy, he's a bit of an ass. I thought I would finish packing last night, but holy crap. I've never packed for a multi day trip before. Taking longer than I thought. That and the fact I always bring way too much stuff. So I'm struggling with "want to have" vs "that's freakin' heavy".

Hijack over, maybe.