Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Line

Ill be getting my new 4 weight soon(Hardy Demon and the ultralight DD) and i'm debating on what floating line to put on the reel, kinda thinking a Rio gold or a Airflo ridgeline.... any of you guys have a preference between the to?

Curious about how much these lines retail for, and what it is you like about them?

Both around $74, iv heard good reveiws from both saying they have a good taper that gives the line the ability to throw flys farther.

If your looking to toss dries and some nymphing I would look at the rio trout LT i got on and so far love it on my 4wt for a nice dry fly presentation.

Yeah thats all I do is fish dries so I think the trout LT is the perfect line

ive fished rio gold for many years now and just recently switched to the new orvis hydros 3d line, the difference is amazing, casts, picks up and shoots waaaay better, its much slicker and floats a lot higher on the water. i highly recommend it!

ive fished rio gold for many years now and just recently switched to the new orvis hydros 3d line, the difference is amazing, casts, picks up and shoots waaaay better, its much slicker and floats a lot higher on the water. i highly recommend it!

Agreed. Hydros is a much nicer line---more supple and casts better.. However, I find the Orvis line high maintenance; it has to be cleaned regularly to maintain performance.

Iv read that it's better with slow action rods, is your 3 weight a fast action?

It's on a older Sage XP which is on the faster side but it seems fine, I guess I could have overlined it but

compaired to the old freshwater tactical that it's replacing it's definitely a step up.

Airflo has switched to a new supple coating. Honestly, their new lines are the most memory-free that I've ever used. Pay attention to the taper you choose though; the Impact taper has a 50' head, and is really only suitable for very fast rods.