Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Proguide 3 Wader Warrantee

Last year at an unreal sale I purchased a pair of the Orvis Proguide 3 Waders - in the shop and for the end of last season they were awesome, the best fitting pair I had every had.

Unfortunately this year the seams on both feet and the legs seem to have leaks - and while I have worn them a fair amount, I feel like they are way to new for that to happen.

In contacting Orvis they said that the waders are too old to return, as 6 months is the limit, but I could send them to have them repaired, possibly for free.

So my question is has anyone else had this issue? And if they sent them in for repair how long did it take and what did it cost?

I'm on my 3rd pair. I just contacted Orvis they gave me the address to send them to, & a couple of weeks later brand new pair with any changes to the new model they have come out with since the original purchase. To be honest everytime I thought ok this time I'm going to have to buy new ones been looking at Simms, but I send back anyway, & there is the new ones delivered to the door. I cant get out of them but now that you talk about the 6 month thing maybe I' will have to buy new ones, & Orvis is coming out with a new model, similar to Simms, welded & the zipper, so maybe thats why the six month thing, they have probably quit making the Proguide 3's to replace with.

This has been a sensitive topic in the past. I can tell you that Orvis weighters used to be absolutely crap. This is no joke: I sent in at least 5 pairs of pro-guides (this was all before 2010). My wife put on a brand new pair of cheaper version, stepped into the Missouri (first time ever used) and leaked within 5 miutes. No joke. Pro guides would leak within 10 trips. The problem was that the seam was on the inside of the leg - it would rub and deteriorate if you were a walk and wade fisherman. The "pro guides" never had a complaint as they were in a boat most of the time. To make a long story short, I am now on my third year with the newly improved pro guides which do not have the seam on the inside of the leg. They seem to be holding up really well. Orvis has a no hassle guarantee and will take your waders back and replace every time. This is the reason I continue to shop at Orvis and their affiliates. Their warranty is second to none. The fella who told you they were too old is full of crap. Send them in and get a new pair. Their reels and everything else are incredible. I call a spade a spade.

I'm on my 3rd pair. I just contacted Orvis they gave me the address to send them to, & a couple of weeks later brand new pair with any changes to the new model they have come out with since the original purchase. To be honest everytime I thought ok this time I'm going to have to buy new ones been looking at Simms, but I send back anyway, & there is the new ones delivered to the door. I cant get out of them but now that you talk about the 6 month thing maybe I' will have to buy new ones, & Orvis is coming out with a new model, similar to Simms, welded & the zipper, so maybe thats why the six month thing, they have probably quit making the Proguide 3's to replace with.

I actually felt vindicated about all my complaints when Orvis posted this about their new waders: "All while a new five-layer fabric in lower leg increases abrasion and puncture resistance. Rear leg seams save wear and tear from legs rubbing together."

This has been a sensitive topic in the past. I can tell you that Orvis weighters used to be absolutely crap. This is no joke: I sent in at least 5 pairs of pro-guides (this was all before 2010). My wife put on a brand new pair of cheaper version, stepped into the Missouri (first time ever used) and leaked within 5 miutes. No joke. Pro guides would leak within 10 trips. The problem was that the seam was on the inside of the leg - it would rub and deteriorate if you were a walk and wade fisherman. The "pro guides" never had a complaint as they were in a boat most of the time. To make a long story short, I am now on my third year with the newly improved pro guides which do not have the seam on the inside of the leg. They seem to be holding up really well. Orvis has a no hassle guarantee and will take your waders back and replace every time. This is the reason I continue to shop at Orvis and their affiliates. Their warranty is second to none. The fella who told you they were too old is full of crap. Send them in and get a new pair. Their reels and everything else are incredible. I call a spade a spade.

Guest NamasteMushroom

What waders are expected to do is really amazing. They should keep you dry, keep you both cool and warm, withstand hiking through dense bush etc, etc.

The same can be said for wading boots....wet - dry - wet - dry - wet - dry, trudging over rocks etc.

I'm not saying a product can't be made to do all of these tasks well, and last for several years. There are certainly some waders and boots that are wickedly strong; but it is asking a lot. A friend of mine who I used to fish with a fair bit (PKK) said it to me best one day about Gortex waders "would you ever expect a Gortex jacket to keep you totally dry if you submersed it in water for 8 hours?". My brothers, who are all plumbers also have given me some great advise regarding water and leaks..."It [water] always finds a way."

All of this said, my advise - buy waders from a company that specializes in WADERS, do not buy waders from a company that specializes in rods, or reels, or corduroys with embroidered geese on them.

I think the point is that waders are marketed as "cool, warm, dry, durable" and thats how they can get away with charging $400 bucks a pair. So I think more than 10 outings would be reasonable. But as I mentioned, the new and improved Orvis waders are tough to beat with respect to quality and durability. I love them and will likley buy another pair. And I WILL NOT be sending my current waders back when they leak as I have enjoyed many days on the water. I sent the ones I mentioned (designed and sold before 2010) back as you should stay dry for more than 10-15 outings if your spending $400 bucks. I trust you concur. All the best!

^^^^^ Bingo!!!!!!

Thanks for all the input - I was super surprised when he said they wouldn't take them back after 6 months because of the hassel free warrantee that everyone had told me about.

I will definitely send them back and hopefully get a new pair of the current versions so I don't end up with 5 iterations of this problem.

Teaches me to pull the trigger without doing the research because of a sale!