Fly Fusion Forums

Ebay Tying Kit I'm Thinking Of Buying

PlayDoh

Hey guys, I'm ignoring advice and getting in way over my head with everything fly fishing related, but I figure that I have all winter to learn to tie and the sooner I get the necessities the better.

Heres the Fleabay link http://cgi.ebay.ca/Over-50-Fly-Tying-Mater...1QQcmdZViewItem

The Moose River Fly Tying Kit

This very comprehensive fly tying material kit Just got EVEN BIGGER and better! It has been designed for those who are just starting out in this wonderful hobby, or those who tie their own flies and are tired of the cost of going to a fly shop and having to buy way more material than you need to tie the flies you want to tie. This kit contains a wide selection of carefully chosen, packaged and labeled materials and hooks which allow you to tie many fly patterns and types at a fraction of the cost of buying each material at a fly tying shop. Included in this kit : FREE SHIPPING WORLD WIDE!!

25 Hooks, Assortment

3 Colours of Silk Floss

Gold & Silver Tinsel

"Whiting " or "Metz" Dry Fly Hackle

Wet Fly Hackle

Moose Mane

Peacock Herl

Chenille (3 colours)

Leech Wrap (3 colours)

Poly Fiber (3 Colours)

Wool

Eye Beads

Copper Wire

Sparkle Flash

Mylar Tubing (2colours)

Buck Tail (2 colours)

Squirrel Tail

Fox Tail

Deer Body Hair

Rabbit (Two Colors)

Dubbing

Mink

Larva Lace

Ringneck Pheasant Feathers

Maribou

Now also included:

Golden Pheasant

Skud Back

Super Nymph/Bug Foam

Salmon Egg Yarn

Northern Wolf

Mallard Flank

Guinea Fowl

Partridge

Muskrat

Bugger Wrap

New Additions:

Med. Rubber Spawn Strips

Streamer Hair

Black Bear

Raccoon

We buy quality materials in bulk and pass the savings on to you!

PERFECT for any fly tyer, beginner or expert!

I don't know my arse from my elbow regarding flies or tying yet, but does this look like it is a good deal, and useful for the Calgary area? Its only $28 and free shipping so even if only half of the material is useful it has to be a deal. Compared to buying flies it seems like the deal of the century. Once I get into this I'm going to be up to my eye balls in flies I'm sure.

I would normally advise against kits, but at the price quoted I don't think you can go wrong.

. Compared to buying flies it seems like the deal of the century.

Boy are you in for a shock. Once the obsession kicks in you will spend more money on fur, feather and flash than you ever would on buying flies! :rolleyes:

I know someone that bought this very same kit and was not happy at all with it. Quality just isn't there in the materials. Old saying you get what you pay for applies in the case that I know. The best advice I can give is don't buy premade kits; they just measure up for quality. Now if you go into a shop and ask if they can help you with selecting a personalized kit with special pricing and select more items tailored to what you want to tie this would be great. My personal view on buying most materials that are non metallic for tying is if I can't visually inspect it I don't buy it. Just my take on this subject.

Thanks guys, nothing better then actual vouches. Flytyer, I usually follow similar guidelines however I think $28 is money I think I could live with wasting in the process of learning. I'm a quick learner yet I have short patients for tiny intricate things like squinting and trying to tie knots with near invisible thread. Sewing for example is a task I usually end up wasting my time and wigging out when I realize it. Off to mom's house if I haven't torn the item to pieces in frustration.

A $28 kit is cheap enough to vent on, and ruin doing things wrong. "You get what you pay for" is a phrase to live by IMO. I'm sad to hear that tying is expensive, for the second time. I'm gonna have to setup a trap-line with animal friendly traps so I can just shave or pluck them. :rolleyes: Good thing theres not a "Grizzly hair nymph", lol, or maybe there is.

Remember, tying kits are designed to get you started and hooked.

$28 is almost too good to be true. I think you have to think about what flies and in what sizes you want. Looking at the list, I would ask myself:

25 hooks? What sizes/types?

Tinsel? How large?

Same with hackle, beeds, tubing, etc.

I think you will only get a minimal amount of flies you want from that list. 25 at the most. Thats over $1 a fly.

But, it gets you some materials you can use and will get you started (assuming you have a vise). There is a lot of material there and even a small amount of each would be a deal.

I agree with Flytyer that quality is always an issue with the cheap kits. However, when you're just starting out you have such a steep learning curve that you're going to waste quite a bit of material. Better that you waste the cheap stuff and then restock with the good material once you've learned the techniques. This kit looks like it only contains materials. Get good tools, not necessarily expensive but good quality and you'll enjoy tying a whole lot more. Any of the good fly fishing shops in town can set you up. Also, find somewhere you can get some instruction. I learned to tie by reading out the section in the back of Ray Bergman's book "Trout". Any of the older guys who remember that book will recognize the challenges I faced. A major word of caution, if you don't like squinty, fiddly you may not enjoy tying.

for 28 bucks..... it can't be a terrible idea. You will be looking at a significantly higher number for your tools and whatnot though. That and you should likely not expect this kit to tie dozens and dozens of flys. best case scenario it will likely let you have a few shots at a bunch of different flys and then you will be shopping again. But this is good cause the materials in there will let you tie a few of a number of different flys then you can decide which materials and flys you like and buy those products in bulk. However you could just pick say a list of the top 10 drys, streamers, nymphs grab all your tools and just google the recipes and start working through these lists.... tie a half dozen or a dozen of each and pick up the materials for the next fly. Finish all 40 and start back at the begining in a different hook size..... or you could just tie 1 pattern in all different sizes prior to moving on..... after the first few recipes your costs will go down as you will find many patterns use some of the same materials...... Its not a cheap hobby really but tying flies is fun (to me anyhow).

ps these are links to the top 10s..... I would agree with their lists for the most part but if you are not sure if a pattern is gonna be usefull to you just ask on here

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part27.html

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part23.html

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part22.html

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part26.html