Fly Fusion Forums

Stillwater Brook Trout

lethfisher

Hey guys, I've got a friend who is flying in to some Ontario lakes targeting stillwater brook trout. He was asking about fly patterns, do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking weighted leech patterns that will be able to get down fairly quickly, maybe like a black zonker or something? What about crustacean patterns like crayfish? Apparently the lake brooks get larger than the river ones in Ontario that are typically 6" or so, maybe they are looking for bigger prey at that point?

Any insight or suggestions are much appreciated!!

A couple of weeks ago, we fished a small lake west of Prince George. 6 people fishing and everyone caught lots of Brookies. The lowest number was 40, the highest number of the group was in that 60/70 fish range. All were caught on a red Doc Sprately. The fish ranged in size from 12 inches up to 16 inches. If they don't like red, try green or black.

Murray

Hey guys, I've got a friend who is flying in to some Ontario lakes targeting stillwater brook trout. He was asking about fly patterns, do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking weighted leech patterns that will be able to get down fairly quickly, maybe like a black zonker or something? What about crustacean patterns like crayfish? Apparently the lake brooks get larger than the river ones in Ontario that are typically 6" or so, maybe they are looking for bigger prey at that point?

Any insight or suggestions are much appreciated!!

Born and raised on Ontario. Fished everywhere from North Western Ontario to Northern Quebec in search of brook trout. Most of my takes were on dry, but I really enjoy trolling for them. Over the years I've used many streamers and had great luck but now I troll around a red tag. Size 6 streamer hook, chartreuse bead, wrapped lead wire, black crystal chenille with red crystal tag. It's a very simple fly but trolled on a full sink line it is deadly.

Other flies that I would recommend would be mickey finns size 4-6, balanced leech same sizes, muddler minnows same size. Pretty much any streamer trolled in 6-20 feet should be good.

Not sure if that helps but they aren't too fussy he should have fun.

That's great, thanks!