Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone With Experience With Sa Textured Gpx?

Hello Everyone,

Looking for a new line for my 6 wt z-axis. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the new scientific anglers textured line. I am wondering if this is all marketing or if the line will actually shoot better and last longer. I previously had regular gpx, however I am interested to hear what others would suggest.

Hello Everyone,

Looking for a new line for my 6 wt z-axis. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the new scientific anglers textured line. I am wondering if this is all marketing or if the line will actually shoot better and last longer. I previously had regular gpx, however I am interested to hear what others would suggest.

I have it on my 5 wt Zenith. I was mainly using that rod as a dry fly rod with this line (I've only had it for a month or so). And since I got both the rod and the line at the same time, it's hard to come to any concrete recommendations other than to say I loved fishing with this combination. I did not really shoot line with it much, but it was a joy to cast and I was very successful fishing it.

I also have had SAs Nymph Textured line for a 10 ft 6 wt Amunsdon. It does shoot as advertised, for me anyway. Have not had it long enough (a couple of months) to comment on longevity. I don't suspect anyone has because it is still pretty new? Much easier on the hands than sharkskin, I will say that.

I have it on my 7wt Sage 99, which I use almost exclusively for chironomid/indicator fishing. As Rick says, it does shoot nicely, although given how I'm using it, distance is not a big deal. I've not tried the full blown shark skin so I can't compare, but I can say that with the textured line, you don't really notice the roughness after a while. Since the price premium is not that great, unlike for the shark skin, I think it is worth a try. Terry

edit: mine is the nymphing indicator line

I just recently put it on my 5wt (had normal GPX 5 wt prior to switching)... Like Rick, I've only had it on for about a month, as well have no exp. with Sharkskin.

I only paid $50 for it and at this point in time seems to be the same as the reg GPX, albeit it makes much more noise (though not as much as sharkskin from what others have said). I wouldn't pay the $90 or whatever they are asking for it... We'll see what happens over the summer part of the season...

P

• 2 weeks later...