Fly Fusion Forums

Speaking Of Thanks

Hi Everyone:

Besides running this forum, the mods also deserve thanks for providing a platform to ensure young people take up the sport.

That also means I need to thank-YOU; especially BBT, Hanson's Outfitters, Murray, Monger, and everyone else in assisting me getting my students equipment for the Flyfishing Club I run at school.

This year I was able to take the kids out 3 times, including a first stream fishing trip!

And, as we speak, I am working with the school board to get a 4-day, 3-night trip approved for August to the Ram Falls area. Keeping my fingers crossed...

(Tried posting pics, couldn't find the instructions on the forum, then I find out photobucket is blocked...damn frustrating, lol)

Anyways, cheers and grateful,

Smitty

Okay, think I got the pictures figured out. Man, what a pain in the behind when you don't know what you're doing...lol:

1. The finer points of casting:

ffc2012summerside1027.jpg

2. More Casting:

ffc2012summerside1022.jpg

3. The finer points of tying knots:

ffc2012summerside1034.jpg

4. Fishing:

ffc2012summerside1043.jpg

5. Tangles are a part of flyfishing life:

ffc2012summerside1047.jpg

6. Getting Ready for the first stream fishing trip (Freeman River):

hardistyffcfreemanr001.jpg

7.Stream wading and fishing!:

freemanriver.jpg

8. Stuck! (Her foot is buried in mud):

haridstyffcfreemanremil.jpg

9. My worst hooking accident in 25 years...done to myself! Good example for the kids...lol

hardistyffcfreemanrsmit.jpg

10. His first ever Arctic Grayling, first ever time flyfishing a stream:

hardistyffcfreemanriver.jpg

Great Job working with the kids !!!

wow that looks some sore , and out the other side ..Holy moses .. was that the ole Bow River Hookset at work ;)

bowing my head ( Dear God ..... I've been good , know what I mean .... if you remember that happening to Smitty , whats up Dood ... ( Yes I've been hooked before , and yes they were by my self)

Here's a deal ! If you don't EVER , an I mean NOT EVER ! Let me do or get that bad of a hook set , I won't swear anymore ... i mean the F word will be greatly reduced , and never the C word ( I never used to use it , yet this year it came out a couple of times) I swear Sir , I'm going to pay it forward , and just hope that ... Lord Hear My Prayer !!!!

OUCH Smitty ! WT...Graciousness o:) ! Thats hard core teaching the youngsters . If you ever would like some help , I will gladly offer it . Was a Senior Counsellor back home (NB) all throughout the nineties .. Would like to get involved with putting smiles on faces again and help to pass on this biological passion.

You know, the funny thing is, is that it was hooked in my forearm. There must not be a lot of nerves there, because it truly didn't hurt that much. The worst part is that I was doing the hopper-dropper combo, and, though i am pretty diligent, I forgot to mash the barb on the dropper.

So there I am, try to "back" the hook out, and let me tell you, it is impossible. There is no tough cartilage like a fish's mouth to leverage against. So there I am, trying to push, pull the stupid thing and my skin just stretches along with it, to the point I could lift that first layer of skin 3 inches away from my forearm. No dice.

So the pic you're seeing is when I finally got clever, I pushed the point through to the other side to expose the point and the barb. Then it was a simple matter of just cutting the point and the barb off with the sidecutter portion of my needle nose, and presto! Hook pretty much just fell out.

Anyways, good lesson for all, especially me. It is so much fun taking kids fishing. I hope that August trip gets approved.

Smitty

Hi Everyone:

Besides running this forum, the mods also deserve thanks for providing a platform to ensure young people take up the sport.

That also means I need to thank-YOU; especially BBT, Hanson's Outfitters, Murray, Monger, and everyone else in assisting me getting my students equipment for the Flyfishing Club I run at school.

This year I was able to take the kids out 3 times, including a first stream fishing trip!

And, as we speak, I am working with the school board to get a 4-day, 3-night trip approved for August to the Ram Falls area. Keeping my fingers crossed...

(Tried posting pics, couldn't find the instructions on the forum, then I find out photobucket is blocked...damn frustrating, lol)

Anyways, cheers and grateful,

Smitty

what school do you teach fly fishing at?

what school do you teach fly fishing at?

Well, I'm on a little dicey ground because I've posted pics of students on an internet (public) forum. So, in the effort to comply and be slightly paranoid or anal about it, I'll refrain from mentioning the school.

But I will say I work for Edmonton Public Schools.

And thanks BBT. :)

Smitty