Fly Fusion Forums

Grayling Flies And Gear

My girlfriend is a botanist. She will be working in Northern Saskatchewan for the first 2 weeks of June.

Because there are no work outposts, she has to stay at a fishing lodge---Camp Grayling. I know. Rough life, right?

She has some experience fly fishing. She knows the knots and the lingo, but she does not really know the flies and hatches. I would like to send her up with a good assortment of flies, but I have never fished for grayling. There are probably some good go-to flies. I would assume that prince nymph and hare's ear are fairly universal, but some additional insight would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

My girlfriend is a botanist. She will be working in Northern Saskatchewan for the first 2 weeks of June.

Because there are no work outposts, she has to stay at a fishing lodge---Camp Grayling. I know. Rough life, right?

She has some experience fly fishing. She knows the knots and the lingo, but she does not really know the flies and hatches. I would like to send her up with a good assortment of flies, but I have never fished for grayling. There are probably some good go-to flies. I would assume that prince nymph and hare's ear are fairly universal, but some additional insight would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Any bead heads. I find for dries the Royal Coachman works Very Very well. Irresistible adams.

I have caught a lot of grayling. Any dark colored nymph like an idaho, or prince in size 12 or 14 will work well. As for dry flies, a 14 adams is good. Sometimes a terrestrial pattern that is a small black ant is deadly.

I spent part of a summer at the Lloyd Lake Lodge in the Lac La Ronge area of Sask. I found anything in black worked. As a dry fly in particular the black gnat caught them pretty steady, in fact I got bored and quit after about an hour, mind you I was tired from working all day.

Grayling certainly do give you 100 fish days, make you feel like a rockstar, and hit anything. That's a lot more common in the fall. Summertime you'll find them spread out, rather than holed up. Not that it happens often, but there are times they are just as picky as any trout, and days when they're shut off. Everyone loves getting them on dries, but don't forget small streamers, they've often caught me the biggest fish of the day.

Are Saskatchewan Grayling fisheries open that early? I've been missing out!

• 2 weeks later...