Fly Fusion Forums

Harvie Passage

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

have fun is all i can say! went through it many times last year and it is crazy sketchy in the class2 section. lots of biol overs that will push you back into the pool for another spin and close shore to shore dist when you add in the oars.

I will put a 6 pack on the line that says some one annihilates their drift boat this summer lol any takers, i will even make it a pack of BigRock over luckys

have fun is all i can say! went through it many times last year and it is crazy sketchy in the class2 section. lots of biol overs that will push you back into the pool for another spin and close shore to shore dist when you add in the oars.

I will put a 6 pack on the line that says some one annihilates their drift boat this summer lol any takers, i will even make it a pack of BigRock over luckys

If I guess it right does that mean I have to drink them or does the loser have too.

post-1844-1337782189.jpg

Whos going to run it this year, i want to watch. I've been through the class ii section in both mine and anothers drifter. It isnt easy by any stretch of the imagination, as 420 said the drops suck you back in... HARD. Add the drunk swimmers and other users not getting out of the way and it is an adventure.

My bet is that the size of the entrance to the class 2 channel will create some problems .

Too many floaters forcing some to the class 3 rapids.

The FD's jet boat will be there from dusk till dawn pulling thrill seekers off the islands or chasing them down the river.

What's the rules on the salvaging unmanned inflatable's?

post-1844-1337788437.jpg

What's the rules on the salvaging unmanned inflatable's?

You can return them to Wal-mart for store credit.

There are plenty of guys who can and do run class 2-4 rapids in drift boats. Take a look at Youtube for videos of guys running Big Kahuna, Lunch Counter on the Snake, or Blossom Bar on the Rougue to name a few.

A

There are plenty of guys who can and do run class 2-4 rapids in drift boats.

A

You are correct but how many of the Bow river users have any experience with rapids......the Bow is a cake walk and if that's where you have learned to row you could be woefully unprepared for Harvey Passage.

I have run the passage a few times and it is hard to traverse to say the least. The drops suck you back in hard, I think some will succeed in this, but beware it isn't a cake walk. Go fast and true, wear your pfds, secure your gear, drybag your phones and have a bailing system ready to go. Once you hit the first drop on the C2 side it is very difficult to row as the channel isn't wide enough to get a good stroke on your oars. Add in the drunks swimming in the area and you have the potential for seriously failing. I have yet to see an inflateable go through and keep all the occupants in place.

You are correct but how many of the Bow river users have any experience with rapids......the Bow is a cake walk and if that's where you have learned to row you could be woefully unprepared for Harvey Passage.

I have run the passage a few times and it is hard to traverse to say the least. The drops suck you back in hard, I think some will succeed in this, but beware it isn't a cake walk. Go fast and true, wear your pfds, secure your gear, drybag your phones and have a bailing system ready to go. Once you hit the first drop on the C2 side it is very difficult to row as the channel isn't wide enough to get a good stroke on your oars. Add in the drunks swimming in the area and you have the potential for seriously failing. I have yet to see an inflateable go through and keep all the occupants in place.

i'v not seen it yet up close , but from them pictures it almost looks better to take the left hand side the class 3 side as one has alot more room to move around , sounds like allot of fun if you ask me , and a dare to boot with a case of beer on the line ,

I have ran the class 3 side

its not two bad if you know what you are doing !

but i have also been trained in swiftwater rescue and have 3 years of white water raft guiding .

i would rather run the class 3 side in a drift boat ,you got more room to move around .

you also have to remember that they have built the drops for the kayakers to surf

let me tell you one thing dont hit it sideways or you will have a really bad day !

Whos going to run it this year, i want to watch. I've been through the class ii section in both mine and anothers drifter. It isnt easy by any stretch of the imagination, as 420 said the drops suck you back in... HARD. Add the drunk swimmers and other users not getting out of the way and it is an adventure.

Without a doubt all run both sides, looks like fun. Bought a drift boat so I could fish more. Now that I've had one for a few years it seems I fish less because am always on the oars.

I would agree that the Class 3 side is the route I would take. the Class 2 side is too tight and I could see getting caught up in the sides easier.

I figure on the class 3 side you just need enough momentum to get through, keep rowing hard through it so not get your tail end sucked under. The nice thing is that there are no down stream obstacles to worry about so you can just power through it.

As soon as my latest boat is done I have no qualms about running it in my wooden McKenzie High side.

Here is a video of them testing it with some kayaks & canoes.

A