Fly Fusion Forums

Hardy Shark Video

This is a video of fishing for spinner sharks in Florida. It is really a product endorsement for the 1 pc Hardy Zenith 8 wt, but I put it up here for the shark fishing. I have fished for Spinner Sharks several times in my life. Almost always with gear that was a bit under powered for the task, fishing off the beach. Some of the most fun I've ever had fishing is watching 75lb spinners jump 6 ft out of the water and making that first screaming panic run. I had not heard of people fishing for them with flies (we fished for them with bloody cut up fish and had no idea they were susceptible to any time of non-natural bait), but after watching this, I have a new thing to try out. 6 foot spinners on a fly rod? Get the !@#$ out!!

Stingrays. Blech. I've caught a few, they are like the opposite of sharks. Instead of explosive runs you get slow unstoppable power. And when they wear out (which takes too damn long), they like to form a suction cup on sandy bottoms. Think sore arms. Then when you finally see them, they are way smaller than you thought they would be and you feel like a wimp.

We would fish for them with crabs, and we always kept some of the crabs alive so that when the rays do their suction cup thing you can take the crab pinchers and tape then around the line and drop the crab down the line. The crab lands on the ray, starts crawling around driving the ray crazy and it gets up off the bottom. I swear.

Also the damn things get into prime wading water in the spring time to spawn making us shuffle step when we wade. And when you hit one, it scares the absolute CRAP out of you. I also know several people who've been hit with a ray barb. Lots of swelling, puking, and hospital time when that happens.

Stupid Stingrays. I'll still fish for them though, what the hell.