Fly Fusion Forums

Hooks?

BadSal

Guest JBear

i use lots of tiemcos/daiichi, i do use some mustads from time to time. Mostly just old hooks that i just so happen to have popular sizes in.

The only issues i've had is with OLD mustads. Like 8/9 years old, maybe it was just a bad batch, but they seem to bend out easily. Still strong enough to land fish, but after a few good sized fish or snags on the bottom, they're straight.

Anything heavy wire, is usually good.

Guest Grinr

I guess it depends on the type and style of flies that you're tying?For instance,I much prefer Gamakatsu over Mustad for the "working man" hairwings(as opposed to "Classics"?) Atlantic Salmon flies that I tie.If money is no object(or for my own personal box) then its Partridge hooks.I can't say that Gamis are really any better or stronger than Mustads,Ive never had a fish straighten or break a Mustad,but the finished fly just looks nicer proportionally on a Gami IMHO,and they have a nicer bend and generally wider gape versus a comparable size and style Mustad.That said,I'd say if a fly has more "angler eye appeal",then said angler is likely to fish it with more confidence,but should add that most of my tying experience has been hairwings,bucbugs,bombers and such for Atlantics.....really can't say or don't have an opinion one way or the other on tiny trout flies,I simply don't have much experience (or patience,lol) in tying them?

Good rule of thumb regarding hook quality: avoid knock-offs usually sold at a to-good-to-be true discount. IE: at one time several suppliers were selling cheap hooks using the same numbering system and design as Tiemco. Those hooks were crap, brittle and broke easily. Usually you get what you pay for... buy good hooks.

Several good brands have been mentioned above with the exception of Dai-rikki which are too brittle and nowhere's near the quality of Mustad (signature series), Daiichi or Tiemco hooks. I've used Tiemco's for years with few complaints.

Several good brands have been mentioned above with the exception of Dai-rikki which are too brittle and nowhere's near the quality of Mustad (signature series), Daiichi or Tiemco hooks.

I could not agree more with this statement. I bought a bunch of dai-rikki that I wasn't happy with. I don't want to drag their name through the mud but I only use what is remaining from that purchase to tie experimental patterns now. I won't be buying more dai-rikki anytime soon.