Fly Fusion Forums

"cassette" System Spools??

I own the snowbee system in the spey size. No complaints with it at all its unbeatable for the price. It may not be the prettiest of reels bt functionally its great! and for the price unbeatabe i beleive. I have just recently started upgrading my spey reels to nicer reels, but that is the gearhead in me, I will always keep the cartridge system for backup.

Mike

I have the snowbee xsd (I think). Awesome value, great reel!

Only issue had been the shop the spooled the backing did it too tight and I couldn't change the cartridges...

P

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you have used either the Snowbee Cassette Reels or the Hardy Demon System. Seems like a good concept, having a few spools at low cost. I setting up a 7 weight and was thinking of maybe using this type of reel.

Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Cheers!

I have the XSD 780 love it so far got it on sale from nile creek fly shop for 110 i believe. I know that the XSD is being discontinued though, coming in with the onyx series and adding to the geo 560c and 780c which is also a great reel, and it makes sense for lake fishing when you want type 1-6 sinking lines, plus a floating line. That way you have all the tools in the arsenal to effectively fish without spending 70-200$ on new spools.

XSD's are great reels, unfortunately they are being discontinued, to be replaced by the Onyx, hopefully these will be available to us very shortly. Not sure what stock Courtney has in the shop but it might be worthwhile to give him a call if you are looking for a cheap, dependable reel.

Colin

I have a Hardy Demon with a number of spare spools. It's a great system if you have a number of rods and or line combinations as spools are only $25.00 ea.

With the Demon spools you have to make sure you don't wind your backing on too tight or the spool will warp slightly making it difficult to get on or off the reel.

Yes, I think SA does (or did), probably a few others... Quick google search may yeild some info...

Cortland, Airflo and TFO just came up, as well as some no name ones...

P

Thanks for all the info guys.

Do any other reel maker apart from Snowbee and Hardy make these systems?