Fly Fusion Forums

Otters In The Rocky Moutain House Area

Folks,

This news article arrived in the local paper. The local SRD Wildlife Biologist wishes anglers help to measure the amount of otters seen in the area.

She ID's aerated trout ponds as one gathering spot however I've seen them along some of the streams as well. Many of our trout stream are ice free for some of their lengths all winter. The main Ram, Shunda, Clear Creek, Stauffer Creek, Upper Raven, Prairie Creek and on and on. Each of the open water areas are preferred habitat for fish as well due to water temperatures. Some of these open areas are the primary spawning areas for the stream. Conflicts between fish and otters could certainly exist. In my case, I spend a lot of time around water [ 110>130 days/year fishing in open water]. From 1955>2008 I did not see a single Otter in Alberta. Since then I've seen 17 in various places around Rocky. From 0>>>>> 17 is quite a leap.

Let us help her with the count.

I apologize for the 3 jpg set-up but couldn't do a scan of the whole article at one time.

Otters1w.jpg

Otters2w.jpg

Otter3w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...