Fly Fusion Forums

Burwash Landing

Hey,

I'm planning on doing the Donjek hike near Burwash Landing in the Yukon this summer. Looking at the maps I see there are many rivers, creeks and small lakes in the alpine and I figure I'd bring my rod with me. Does anyone have any tips, experience in the area that they would like to share?

Thanks,

Kyle

I only fished Kluane lake and some small lakes on the east side of Kluane while I stayed at a research station years ago. Lots of lake trout, grayling and some pike. I was told there is also Inconnu in the SW corner of Kluane.

We hiked up in the mountains west of Destruction Bay/Burwash one weekend near Amphitheater mountain. It was incredible scenery. We got to a high spot where we could look down on the Donjek I believe. The Blue berries were amazing. We got stalked by caribou too. South of there you can find lots of Dall sheep. There is a beautiful picture in every direction.

Kathleen lakes a few hours south has rainbows

Thanks,

We are planning on doing the Donjek hike, 120 km, and I'm leaning towards bringing the gear just in case something seems fishy, we will be stopping at a few high alpine lakes and I can't find any info on them, and I know I'd be pissed if I saw fish without my gear so I'm bringing it along.

Hopefully, I'll grab some great pictures of the area and maybe a few fish ones as well.

Thanks again,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

I would bring at least a 3wt or 2wt if you have one as every piece of water up there will have at

least grayling. They are a blast to catch and will rise to flies all day long. I lived in the Yukon for

over 20yrs and worked in that particular area for 3 years. I'll see if I can dig up some more info

for you and pass it on. What's the date of your trip?

Cheers,

Paul

• 6 months later...

My trip is getting closer and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas about this area. I'm taking my 4 weight with a small box of dries. If anyone has some go to flies or tips that would be awesome as I don't have tons of time to figure it out.

Thanks again

My trip is getting closer and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas about this area. I'm taking my 4 weight with a small box of dries. If anyone has some go to flies or tips that would be awesome as I don't have tons of time to figure it out.

Thanks again

Just a grab bag with an assortment of dries, black gnats, royal coachman and cadis is all I ever used for grayling. Some small

wooly buggers for the bigger ones. On Kluane Lake I would concentrate on the creek inlets and just swing the bugger out

with the current and when it gets out into the lake expect a hit. If you had a larger rod you could try for lake trout in this

same manner. Kathleen river towards Haines has the only natural population of rainbow trout in the Yukon and is fly fishing only.

You could try nymphing with small copper johns, pheasent tails and GRHE but why not take them on dries.

Good luck!!

~P