Fly Fusion Forums

Vinyl Flooring Question

Sort of a weird question....

Has anyone here used, "Commercial Grade 10.5MM VINLOC PLANK VINYL FLOORING" from Windsor?

The vinyl is shown here ... page 3, right middle. "Commercial Grade 10.5MM VINLOC PLANK VINYL FLOORING."

We are replacing the flooring in two rooms in our basement: my office and my wife's sewing room. We removed the Berber carpet. We were considering laminate flooring, but the concrete, although smooth, is gently rolling in one direction...which we discovered when we lifted the carpet. There are gentle hollows in one direction. The length (15 feet) is quite flat end to end, but the width (12 feet) is slightly wavy wall to wall. See below. There is a high spot going to a low spot and the elevation difference over about 3 meters is about 10 mm. I am advised that this is far too much for stiff laminate (the snap connects will separate) and I am not about to use a liquid floor leveler...just not going to happen. (Seen the videos. Gak!)

Vinyl flooring in assorted thicknesses seems to be surging in popularity..about half of the "laminate" displays now at Home Depot are vinyl vs. particle laminate. Thicknesses vary from about 3 mm all the way up 10.5 mm. We are looking at the thick vinyl plank flooring at Windsor.

The stuff we are considering looks great... seems durable and is flexible...a bonus for us because it will flex with the shallow depressions in the concrete flooring. I brought home six sections and snapped them together in assorted configurations. All seems good....lays flay..joints string and tight fitting.

Anyone used this stuff?

Thank you!

Clive

I put in the "north south" directional arrow because I showed the photos to my brother who knows the room.

floor6347-0.jpg

Thanks guys. Most likely to take a chance that the heavy (but flexible) vinyl will form to the contours without popping.

Regarding the "self-leveling" compounds. Only about 20 percent of the floor is a bit higher than the rest. Would have to cover about 150 sq ft with the goop from very thin to near 10 mm. Cost would be about $600 for the glop. AND it is adjacent to a carpeted room. I rec'd a PM gently warning me about the leveling glop...complete with photos.

A subfloor would be easy to do..but would have a 2-inch step up. I already spill too much coffee...as witnessed by the stains on the carpet underlay we removed. :P

Probably will tackle the vinyl on Tuesday. Will let you know...next post may be from a convent or or cave in Tibet. ;)

Thanks

Clive

If it were me I would install a sub floor of 2'x2' panels. You can shim and level the subfloor and your vinyl flooring will go in fine. The ines with the rigid foam on the back may have enoughgive to level the floorby themselves.

Lowe's happens to have the inzulated ones on buy 1 get 1 free this weekend. The extra insulation on the floor will be nice on the feet as well.

Andrew

What's "inzulated"!! LoL

P

If it were me I would install a sub floor of 2'x2' panels. You can shim and level the subfloor and your vinyl flooring will go in fine. The ines with the rigid foam on the back may have enoughgive to level the floorby themselves.

Lowe's happens to have the inzulated ones on buy 1 get 1 free this weekend. The extra insulation on the floor will be nice on the feet as well.

Andrew

The thick vinyl planking went down well...seems to contour to the hills and dales of the concrete floor.

Decided to take a chance...leveling or sub floor not an option. Thanks for your comments. Now I just to to mess up the tying quadrant. ;)

officepano.jpg

Whoa organization! Better keep that picture handy for when that room reverts to it's true state Clive

HA HA.

Taco, it started already. This morning I threw some papers and books on the floor! Wait till I start tying! As I told TerryH, it will soon look like a bomb went off on the craft section of a dollar store. :lol::P