Fly Fusion Forums

Deer Hit My Truck

On the way home from Carseland yesterday, a big white tail buck was spooked by a truck on a side road, and jumped in my path at 100 km/hr. Luckily I saw him from the corner of my eye and tried to slightly angle, so as to not hit straight on. Outcome, 1 dead dear and a few grand of damage to the side of my truck, and poss a bent boat trailer axle. Not great but could be much worse. My point is, we always have to keep the eyes open. I hear about this stuff at dawn and dusk, not at 3 pm. Be Carerful All. Someone almost crapped her pants.

From the title of the topic, I was expecting to hear a funny story about a buck messing around with some hood mounted horns or antlers. Glad you're okay. You've probably heard this before, but it's best to not swerve. Just brake. Pretty tough to get in enough practice to overcome that instinct, though.

I hit one 2 years ago.It was a mother and 2 fawns who never looked my way until it was too late.I hit the center fawn at about 60-70k down from 100 because i was hard on the brakes.I was lucky as far as truck damage but felt bad for the little deer.Like junior said it was best not to swerve but take the hit strait on.A big deer is going to do alot of damage no mater where it hits your truck.Good that nobody was hurt.Trucks can always be fixed but it still sucks.

I hit one 2 years ago.It was a mother and 2 fawns who never looked my way until it was too late.I hit the center fawn at about 60-70k down from 100 because i was hard on the brakes.I was lucky as far as truck damage but felt bad for the little deer.Like junior said it was best not to swerve but take the hit strait on.A big deer is going to do alot of damage no mater where it hits your truck.Good that nobody was hurt.Trucks can always be fixed but it still sucks.

It did hit hard,but not hard enough to dislodge the worms you gave me. I had little time to react as it was a blind corner, with hedges, so it was there right fricken now. Because it had just bounded over a fence,or hedge and was bounding again, it had the height of the windshield, so I angled off to graze the side, as I was worried it would hit the glass, on my wifes side. At least it did not suffer. Over $7k to the truck and bent my boat trailer axle.

That sucks. My wife and I hit one coming back from Sheep River Provincial Park in July. We hit it more or less straight on and it rolled all the way over our vehicle, then bounced off the trunk and landed on its back onto the pavement. It sort of kicked around on its back for a few seconds, and then bounded off into the tall grass. The stupid thing took off our mirror and *hit all over the windows and trunk. We got really lucky, considering that you have 7 G's worth of damage.

Have you guys ever heard the Louis C.K. bit about deers? Funny suff.

A few years ago on New Years Eve in Blairmore, our family was driving home from dinner on main street, when a herd of 6 ran from between two houses. It was puking snow and I was driving about 30 km/h, so I hit the brakes and most of the deer got across the road in front of my truck, but one started slipping and sliding, kind of like Bambi on the ice. It bounced off the front passenger side fender of the truck, spun around on the road and took off after the rest of the herd. By that time I was stopped, so I got out and there wasn't even a scratch on the truck.