Fly Fusion Forums

Hunting Season

Ricinus

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me tell you about the last time I was out hunting, it was 6 years ago in the porcupine hills. I was bow hunting and glassing a ridge with my Bushnells. I was wearing a blaze orange hat and fluorescent orange camo (I normally change to full camo in the tree stand). The glasses where shot out of my hands disintegrating. I just stood there in disbelief frozen, when another high caliber round Hit the tree behind me. I hit the ground face first. Two young guys walked up the ridge to me and I pulled my knife. They looked at me like I was from outer space hands bleeding and said "where is our deer". I won't go into the details but there was compensation involved.

I have hunted all my life, this was the first time I had worn blaze orange for big game except for shooting ducks and upland birds. It was a present form my wife to keep me safe... I have always worn camo or hunters green and have on a great many occasions had other hunters walk by me and under my tree stand without seeing or being aware of me. I believe wearing orange will help Id you for other hunters but not from stupid fools.

Thats crazy SD, actually blew it out of your hands. Your so lucky, another clear example of inbreeding gone awry.

I count myself very lucky for not loosing my eyesight or worst. I have developed arthritis in a couple of fingers of my left hand where the scarring was from flying metal and glass.

Thats crazy SD, actually blew it out of your hands. Your so lucky, another clear example of inbreeding gone awry.

I count myself very lucky for not loosing my eyesight or worst. I have developed arthritis in a couple of fingers of my left hand where the scarring was from flying metal and glass.

Sorry to hear of your terrifying experience, I cant believe it was anything less than that! Judging by your comments Im guessing that wasnt the end of it, good thing you didnt go postal and knife one of those fools! So you had your binocs up to your face when it was blown out of your hands? MAN O MAN you are lucky to not have been blinded! Do you still hunt? GEEZUZ!

Yes I had my Busnells up and glassing when the bullet hit. The bullet came in at a side angle spreying the bits away from my face but catching the last few fingers and palm of my left hand with glass. My brother was with me just coming up the ridge and saw it unfold, he called 911. Said that based on the explosion around my head he though I was hit for sure. To be honest I wasn't spooked just pissed at what could have happened to me. It did end up in court and there was a private settlement that I can't get into. I was glad my bro was there and shall we say "detained" the pair. Spend a lot of time in the bush and you run into some strange stuff.

Sorry to hear of your terrifying experience, I cant believe it was anything less than that! Judging by your comments Im guessing that wasnt the end of it, good thing you didnt go postal and knife one of those fools! So you had your binocs up to your face when it was blown out of your hands? MAN O MAN you are lucky to not have been blinded! Do you still hunt? GEEZUZ!

You really think getting yourself noticed because you're wearing orange increases your risks? Ridiculous. Sorry to bring up seatbelts again, but that makes as much sense as people who argue that if your car lands on its roof in water, your seatbelt will trap you and you'll drown.

I'm conflicted on this one, I for one would rather not be seen. Call it buck fever or whatever you like the simple fact is that sometimes you see what you want to see. I think anyone who has hunted has found themselves taking a long hard look at a bush or a rock convinced they were seeing a deer for a moment.

If you do choose to wear orange don't expect it to save you, keep an eye out for other hunters.

I'm conflicted on this one, I for one would rather not be seen. Call it buck fever or whatever you like the simple fact is that sometimes you see what you want to see. I think anyone who has hunted has found themselves taking a long hard look at a bush or a rock convinced they were seeing a deer for a moment.

If you do choose to wear orange don't expect it to save you, keep an eye out for other hunters.

If your glassing and watching your game, it will move than you should have a better idea of what it is. That said buck fever comes from seen a BIG buck like a 165 inch or bigger, pretty sure you have to see it before you know its a gagger!