Fly Fusion Forums

New To Fly Tying

Shuck

Shuck

What I did 6 odd years ago was buy Blue Ribbon Bow by Jim Mclennan. Awesome book to say the least. In the book there is a section with many patterns for local water. I chose about 10 flies I had success with and bought material for these particular flies. The material list is provided for all the patterns. Go buy the hooks, material, etc, and I would recommend tying a few dozen of each before moving to the next. A lot of guys start this way. Do not try to try 50 patterns right away!!!

I would suggest:

sjw

bhpt

grhe

w.buggers

golden stone

and choose some of your own liking

Also, as others had pointed out, the web is a great place for info.

Good luck and happy tying.

Check out You Tube, lots of good videos on there. KSPS usually airs 'Fly Tying the Anglers Art' Saturday mornings in the fall and winter. LeRoy Hyat, and the late Dave Engerbretson from this show were huge influences on my tying. Also check out the Sport Fishing On The Fly 'On the Bench Series'. Vic Bergman has a good video that's available at the library titled 'Trout -Tying and Fishing Effective Trout Flies'. The Video covers a lot of the usual suspects like. GRHE, Woolly Bugger, Deer Hair Caddis, C.D.C. Blue-winged Olive.

If you fish still waters some easy patterns to tie are: chironomids, the super easy Griffiths nat, marabou leeches and marabou damsels (http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/part14.html)

Hello Shuck,

it is good practice to tie more than one of any fly but to tie dozens when you first start out is a bit extreme and you will also find it boring. You are best starting off by tying 6 of a pattern in 3 different sizes starting from the larger size and working down to the smallest size. Each time you finish a size, compare the first fly with the last and once you have done all 18 then compare the first largest with the last smallest. Doing this enables you to see your progress as you tie and helps you consolidate your skill with one fly.

Here is a link to a step by step I illustrated using that very same method - Step by Step - we do a lot of this type of tying across the pond and the SBSs are to help anyone of any level in tying flies.

Start with simple patterns that do not require you to go out and buy masses of materials, master these before progressing to different fly types and tying methods and you will get a lot of enjoyment as you progress and hone your fly tying skills.

Some simple fly suggestions - Griffiths Gnat (without the peacock herl), a generic black fly, a simple thread and hackle spider (these are quite easy to master and you can create several different spiders just by varying the thread colouration)

Search the web by all means and you will find a wealth of patterns from the basic beginner flies right up to the advanced level Salmon flies that take years to master correctly but above all, have fun doing so!

TLs

Shuck

What I did 6 odd years ago was buy Blue Ribbon Bow by Jim Mclennan. Awesome book to say the least. In the book there is a section with many patterns for local water. I chose about 10 flies I had success with and bought material for these particular flies. The material list is provided for all the patterns. Go buy the hooks, material, etc, and I would recommend tying a few dozen of each before moving to the next. A lot of guys start this way. Do not try to try 50 patterns right away!!!

I would suggest:

sjw

bhpt

grhe

w.buggers

golden stone

and choose some of your own liking

Also, as others had pointed out, the web is a great place for info.

Good luck and happy tying.

Good advice. Exactly what I did. I also picked up the Scholmeyer (spelling bad) book for beginners. It's green on the bottom and the pages are half pages. Pattern on top and methods below. It's a great starter book.