Fly Fusion Forums

My Try At A Flash Fly

flyangler

Guest bigbadbrent

was reading an article about aggressive steelhead, and how they'd prefer flashy baitfish imitations over most other imitations, or egg imitations..

i think you're in the money with that fly

Looks good!

A bit of a variation on the original, but that's what makes tying your own great. Make sure to let us know how it fishes.

You might also want to try a few sparser ties, as well as some in pink, red, and fire orange. Here's an image of what I believe is the original pattern from www.alaska-fishing-site.com, perhaps some of the others can confirm.

2411KarlukFlashFly.jpg

That fly reminds me of an old restaurant that used to be in Fort Macleod called the Scarlet & Gold which got it's names from the traditional RCMP colours. I really like your choice of colour and material.

For a flash fly, my preference would be for a tail about the length of the hook gape, a sparser wing, and a collar that reaches to about mid shank. That would be my preference, not to say one way or the other makes a better fly.

...looks good, can't wait to see your next creation.

flytyer= can I just fish a jerry rigged tube by threading a stinger on mono thru a hollow length of rigid plastic, or do I really need all those adaptors they sell in fly shops? As an acupuncturist, I have access to lots and lots of such tubes. With a fly tied on the tube, I mean.

I can hijack my own thread, right?

flytyer= can I just fish a jerry rigged tube by threading a stinger on mono thru a hollow length of rigid plastic, or do I really need all those adaptors they sell in fly shops? As an acupuncturist, I have access to lots and lots of such tubes. With a fly tied on the tube, I mean.

I tie a fair number of tube flies with plastic Qtip sticks which I use by themselves or as a liner in copper, brass or aluminium tubes available at model building shops.

I tie and fish a lot of tubes also. I just string the mono through the tube. Tie a Surgeon’s End Loop. Then run the loop end through the eye of the short shank hook and over. The knot in the Surgeon’s End Loop will usually create a stop at the end of the tube. If you are using larger tubes that may slip through the tube add just a glass bead above the knot.

This system makes it easy to adjust the position of the hook in relation to the end of the tube. It also makes the hook run horizontal to the tube which is very important. This is the way a lot of the steelheaders run their rigs. Humm... Acupunture tubes. Save me a few.

Thanks Doc. You think that red and copper one will do me any good 10/02?

It should work. You do have to watch tails. They tend to wrap around the hook shank. Just a tip. I found sizes in 3 to 6 to be good but my friend nick had good luck with 1 to 3 salmon hooks. Keep the ties sparser. Pm me if you want.