Fly Fusion Forums

End Of Year 1

reevesr1

After my losing battle with Goliath last night, I decided I would consider it a symbolic end to my first full year of fly fishing as I started this addictive activity last year sometime in September. At the beginning of the year, I found it very frustrating and completely and totally sucked. Now, I still find it frustrating at times, but only completely suck, without the totally. They year has certainly been eventful. I've fished the Bow, Livingstone, Crowsnest, Castle, Oldman, Wigwam and Highwood Rivers to go with some local lakes, K-Lakes, Elbow Lake and Bullshead, along with some small creek fishing. I've caught Rainbows, Browns, Bulls (ok Bull singular), Cutts, Cuttbows, along with some whitefish and some type of fish with it's mouth on the bottom. My biggest to date is a 26.5" Rainbow in a small creek, and a 22" Brown on the Bow. Aside from the fish, the country I've seen this year is nothing short of breathtaking, and would be worth it without a fly rod in my hand. After 40+ years of fishing, I can honestly say this has been my best year fishing ever. Not a small statement!

More importantly, I've met lots of people whom I now call friends and with whom I know I will fish with for many years to come. And there are many on this board I know I will fish with in the future. I joke with my wife that I this board is my on line dating service. If so, I've had some pretty good dates!

I have been extremely fortunate in learning from some incredible fishermen, both on the water and on this board. There are too many names to mention without skipping some, so I won't waste space. But I would especially like to thank Troutlover, Toolman, MissinTheBow, and Maxwell for taking the time to teach (and I'm sure I'm missing someone so I apologize in advance). It's been fantastic. To all the rest of you novices out there, listen to the people on this site. The information here is priceless.

Finally, thanks to all of you with putting up with my ramblings over the past several months. I'm trying to scale it back, but can't seem to keep my fingers off the keyboard.

Rickr awesome post dude. You echo the thoughts of many of us 1st year guys. I too have many thanks to everyone on this board especially BigBadBrent, Toolman, and Bhurt for showing me a thing or two on the river. It is priceless and I am humbled to get to fish beside some of these guys.

The nymphing clinic was an awesome start so many thanks to Max/Toolman for doing this.

But.......I still want to catch a brown over 20" before the ice hits!!! (That's my personal goal before years end)

Rick, that's outstanding. After my first year I was still trying to figure out the difference between a size 4 and a size 14 fly! :)

Max,

Whatever, dude. You are somewhat of a legend around Hanson's. They call you their #1 Bootcamp graduate. (I may be #2, but I'm gunnin' for ya!)

that is a great story and many great adventures i'm sure rickr. good on ya and keep fishing

after my first full year, which was about 6 years ago... i think i had caught (and not necessariy in this order) my head, ear, back, hair, hat, all numerous times, my fishing partners', head, back and hand, a rock, too many trees, grass, a strange bug, a small child, a dog, an 18 ft log while fishing from a 14 ft boat, a plastic bag, a shopping cart, and one grayling

did you know a plastic bag in a current will give a head shake? who knew. but it put up a better fight than the grayling

hope to see you on the river

I'm glad to have been part of your venture into the world of Fly Fishing. I wish I could remember so vividly my first year, but it was a long time ago and I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday....

I'd like to thank you for allowing me to spread some knowledge and I hope it helps. I sometimes need to show someone else something in order to advance myself, (if that makes any sense), because I think with experience comes complacency. I also truly enjoy seeing the look on a person's face when they learn something new and finally get it, (if you know what I mean).

The learning has just begun as well. There's a reason I don't fish that much when we go out....I can't share all my secrets so soon. ;)

Congrats on a pretty decent first year. I doubt many other first year Fly fisherpeople can claim such a good year.

Lastly....If this online dating thing goes too far, I'll just let you know now that I am not joining you on Springer!