Fly Fusion Forums

Reels?

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

Spent my paycheck on a new rod. 10' 5 weight. Im looking for a good reel, preferably a cassette system in a large arbor! Does anyone have any suggestions? Having a hard time finding something to fit the rod. My venture 5, Battenkill Mid arbor III and Redington rise just seem to small for a 10 footer.

Depends if you like a tip heavy rod or something balanced. my 6wt 10' east fork had a phlueger 7/8 it was a little light and the rod just didn't feel right being so tip heavy.I ended up putting two colors of lead core on the spool.

Play around with some weights and see what feels good.

Snowbee XSD

Super good value and a great cartridge system!!

Contact Courtney @ Nile Creek Fly Shop (Islandguy) as he is the national distributor and will give you a heck of a deal!!

P

Spent my paycheck on a new rod. 10' 5 weight. Im looking for a good reel, preferably a cassette system in a large arbor! Does anyone have any suggestions? Having a hard time finding something to fit the rod. My venture 5, Battenkill Mid arbor III and Redington rise just seem to small for a 10 footer.

Guest Jeremie

Its an eastfork 10' 5. I dont need anything with huge stopping power, just something that looks nice and is good quality. The demon looks awesome, but a little steep. Courtney and I have been in contact for the past 2 years, i'll shoot him a note. Im looking for something thats decently balanced and towards the large arbor size!

Its an eastfork 10' 5. I dont need anything with huge stopping power, just something that looks nice and is good quality. The demon looks awesome, but a little steep. Courtney and I have been in contact for the past 2 years, i'll shoot him a note. Im looking for something thats decently balanced and towards the large arbor size!

Take a look at the Snowbee Geo cassette, very nice looking reel.

90118.4.jpg

Colin

Guest Jeremie

Have the geo cassette for my 7 weight, definitely too big for the rod.

Little pricey kyle, and looking for cassette, i have enough lines that i dont want to be spending tons of money on spools! If i had the cash i would already have those reels!

• 4 months later...

I am not sure what kind of price range you are looking to get into and I have no experience with cassettes but I have been looking into the Amundson Diablo cassette. It is a decent price and I want something I can use for a few different lines like you mentioned.

I will be pairing the diablo reel up with a 10' 5wt wind warrior still water rod hopefully in the near future.

I would also reccOmend snowbee xsd 460 cassette, great value with lifetime warranty. I got 460 this season but have been using 780 size for couple seasons on a 10' 8wt(redington redfly2) for pike and walleye, balance is very good. Plenty of drag power on it, and very smooth.

i have the hardy demon 5000...great reel! the cassettes are only twenty bucks..and it comes w/ three of them...

fyi

don't wind your backing really tight or you will warp the cassette (no matter what brand... they are all plastic) and it will be hard to take off.

just light pressure for the backing and you will be fine.

also the demon seemed heavy at first, but now i am liking the extra weight

southbow has some you can check out before buying

cheers

wtf i just realized this thread started in aug 2011.. a little dated