Fly Fusion Forums

Ya Gotta Wonder

About how much being caught affects a fish. I was down on the Oldman on the weekend, and caught a 13" cutt out of a little pocket (say 3 feet across) under a stump. He took a Stimmie and put up the usual sort of cuttie fight and then went back in the water. I put a few more casts through the hole with no reaction and moved on. About an hour later, on my way back upstream, I ran a nymph through the pocket just for the hell of it, and got a 13" cutt. Without having definite markings or a close examination to go on, I am pretty damn sure this was the same fish. In a pocket that small, with no other bites either time, and fish of the same size??????? At any rate, I guess that being caught once didn't bother him. It makes me wonder how many fish, of all species, go pout for a minutes after we put them back and then carry on with their regular activities. Anybody else have similar stories?

That has happened to me a couple of times. Last time was when Deb and I were with Hawgstopper last summer. I even recovered my adams from the previous hook-up!! It was really cool. This cutty was feeding under a overhanging branch and it was a super technical casting situation to get the drift just right without hooking the branch. I caught 3 other fish in that run before my nemesis fish broke me off the 1st time... If I remember correctly, I got him on the 1st or 2nd cast about an hour later!!

It's a total blast, especially if you can sight fish for them!!

P

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Jayhad and I have both got the same fish back to back twice. Once on a bow with chromies and then with stones in the evening on a good brown.

and both times he got my sloppy seconds lol

I had something like that happen on an Oldman trib this year. I hooked and landed a 16" rainbow on a dry at the tail out of a pool, and after reviving it I watched it swim away and it ended up taking a position in the pool where I could see it clearly. I changed my position and started running a prince nymph through the pool and I watched the same fish swim over and smack the nymph on the first drift.

i had the same thing on the liv a couple weeks ago. Caught the same fish with the exact same marking in the same spot.. ironically on the same adams fly. First time that has happened to me.. and i couldn't help but ask myself huh? really? did that just happen??

I have had this happen fishing the open ocean as well. I lost a Dorado (Mahi Mahi) which broke my hook off after a jump. About 20 minutes later, I caught and landed the same fish, with my #2 in the corner of his mouth. He was a good sized 12 kg buck. Delicious too! These coincidences are kind of amazing.

got the same brightly colored rainbow on the crow once within 2 minutes of release... first time on the sjw, second time he had changed to the prince, lol.

another time I was on the liv, landed a whitefish on opening day I was nymphing a zebra midge. he thrashed and snapped the line and slunk back into the pool. I tied on another of the exact same fly, placed a cast, and hit the same fish again... I got both flies back, one in each corner of his mouth like he had tusks. :D