Fly Fusion Forums

Streamwatch Auction - Golden Trout Trip

Hawgstoppah

There I was, at the trailhead.. about 2 hours before Dustin (fishpro) would arrive and we would camp before getting up early to beat the sun into Barnaby Lakes. I spent an hour fishing the castle river, managed a cutt and a bull both around 15 inches, and then gathered up some wood to start a fire when Dustin arrived. The mosquitos were insane down at camp, I had to apply bug spray a couple times.

Dustin arrived and we lit the fire and spent a few hours talking about goldens, steelhead, jurrasic lake, and other fun experiences we'd had. I told Dustin I didn't care if I got a golden tomorrow, I was in it for the experience and to have fun and enjoy a beautifull area. I've always thought (and witnessed) that when people are so tight about HAVING to catch fish it ends up hurting them because they are missing the whole point of going. The folks who relax often do so much better. So I wanted to be one of those people tomorrow... maybe I'd luck out. Eager with anticipation of the morning, we went to bed around 11pm with plans to get going at 6am.

6am, bags packed, water slammed, extra water, clothing, etc in packs, and off we go... for about 15 steps. I had to turn back and grab my Motrin!! I knew I'd need it... it's a muscle relaxant and a good one at that. So after a slight delay were off! Quickly across the castle and found the trailhead..

goldens1.jpg

after about 15 minutes of fairly level flat trail, winding through pines, we start going up sharply. And I do mean sharply! No rush, we stopped every 100 or so metres (maybe less) of elevation gain to catch our breath and rest the legs. Carrying a lot of water up was heavy, but neccessary. Here's a few views on the way up.

goldens2.jpg

goldens3.jpg

The hike up was breathtaking (in BOTH ways). the view was insane, and the elevation gain was also insane! Finally we cleared over the hardest part, and after that it seemed easy after the strain of the hard climb was over. We got to the lower lake and it was DEAD CALM.... and we even saw a rise or two. I asked Dustin if maybe we should fish this one, he's like "No, let's go!!!!!!" so we blasted up to the second lake. A quick view of lake one looking back from the trail to lake two.

goldens4.jpg

and we cleared the last little hump to lake two, and my jaw dropped. my heart started racing. are you kidding me!!! golden trout rising EVERYWHERE... the lake was alive!!!

goldens5.jpg

goldens6.jpg

We set up our gear on a small point and tried to rig up. I couldn't get a fly tied on for the life of me... I was so excited. Finally I had the smallest dry in my box on. I waded out and started fishing, and started....... getting refusal after refusal!!! finally one took my fly... and I missed it. Dustin had a couple swats as well, but we just were not getting onto them. A half hour into it, and 30 refusals into it I am thinking... ok this is what I expected, they'd be tough... I am going to make adjustments all day and see what happens.

So I went to shore rigged up a tiny indicator and some micro small nymphs on 7x.... and stepped back in. BLAT! are you kidding me???? he took my indicator!!! BLAT!!! again!!!!!! no way!!!! his happened about 3 or 4 times.... nothing taking below, wait!!! swoosh!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! missed one!!!!!!!! I missed another one about 5 minutes later... and was admiring some flowers near shore I thought BobLoblaw might like a pic of them when it happened....

Whoosh one took the indicator again.... and I watched it let go, but wait, the indy is still down... SET SET SET!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fish on and I got this one into the net and the goal was achieved!! My first ever golden trout!!! worth the aching muscles and sore back!!! ooooh yeah!!!

goldens7.jpg

goldens8.jpg

goldens9.jpg

goldens10.jpg

the next 10 minutes saw another fish to net!!! unreal!! two in ten minutes!!!! ok small nymphs are going to do it!!!!!! DUSTIN SWITCH UP!!!! I yelled over to him. He said he wanted to try dry a bit more, as he'd had 3 or 4 takes. Here's fish #2

goldens12.jpg

I ended up getting TWO MORE smaller ones withou a lot of color in the next 20 minutes... and that was all Dustin could handle. To shore we went to change rigs and relax.

goldens13.jpg

goldens14.jpg

And the pressure was off... I'd already had an amazing day... and this was within the first hour. We were blessed with amazing weather, hardly a ripple on the lake until mid afternoon... and the goldens were SOOOO into what we were fishing with. Lots more fish came to our hands.

goldens15.jpg

goldens16.jpg

goldens17.jpg

goldens18.jpg

The final tally was an incredible 32 fish between us. I know not many folks would believe that, and I am still wondering if it was some weird dream I will wake from too. It ranks up there with my top fishing experiences ever... the hike, the scenery, the company, the brilliance of the fish, the absence of other people... we had the whole place to ourselves...

Thank you Dustin for the awesome experience and thanks to the people who run the SW auction for things like this to happen. Please continue to support the yearly streamwatch auctions folks!! Let's get this golden trout trip to $200/person next year... it's worth so much more.

Cheers

Brian

You know one of the things I love most about fishing?

No matter how many big fish you catch in your lifetime, under the right circumstances, you can get so damned excited about catching little ones!

Great report & pics, Brian.

Outstanding!

Congratz on your first goldens.

:cheers:

Sounds awesome! Beautiful pictures. I know that both times I've been there it has refreshed my mind and soul. And that is without catching any goldens. It really is a beautiful place. I'm still hoping to get there again before the season is over. The second lake really is the one worth fishing and I'm glad to see you had an amazing experience and got into several. Thanks for posting.

Awesome to hear Brian!! Good on you guys!!

We were up there the weekend before you and just about got blown off the mountain. The wind was insane!! I'm 230 pounds and I nearly got knocked over a couple times by the gusts. There were whitecaps on the lakes.. we didn't think there was a way to scramble to the opposite side of the middle lake (lower southfork) - although later in the day when back at the campsite, we found out from another group that it is possible and the fish were biting - so we tried our luck on the bottom (barnaby) lake. We only SAW two fish in ~3 hours fishing.. nothing hooked or landed.

The first time we went, we caught good weather like yourselves, not so much the second time. From what I've read and heard - that is completely normal. Ah well.. we're 50/50.

Great post.... Been up there a handful of times and it is always beautiful. If anyone ever has the time - scramble up to the top of Southfork mountain. The views up there are incredible...

20060805_0844.jpg

20060805_0832.jpg