Fly Fusion Forums

Tips On Catching Grayling

Hi All,

I'm heading up into the Athabasca watershead next week for some camping and fishing. I have never fished for Grayling before and am hoping someone can give me a few tips. I am guessing that any gear I might need won't be readily available up there.

Thanks, James

Hi All,

I'm heading up into the Athabasca watershead next week for some camping and fishing. I have never fished for Grayling before and am hoping someone can give me a few tips. I am guessing that any gear I might need won't be readily available up there.

Thanks, James

James

Spent 12 years up north - NWT and Yukon - and loved catching Grayling. Depending on how big you expect a 4 or 5 weight is sufficient. They aren't picky about flies but my preferred method is dry because they will often jump out of the water and take the fly on the way down - a blast to watch. BWOs, foam beetles, ants, black gnats and mosquito patterns worked best for me - as for wets, I found something with some sparkle in it worked best, bead head hares ears, bead head PTN or Prince nymph. One of the most most successful patterns in the Yukon was a black wooly worm with red wire rib, red tail and gold bead head. Caught a lot on yellow or golden stonefly patterns too.

Walton's best tip is "get yourself up North." However, you said you were going to Athabasca. As Walton suggested, just make sure you have both dries (add EHC to Walton's list) and wets are Walton suggested. Hopefully they will be looking up, but in case they are not you'll want to swing some beadhead flies through the fishy parts.

If they are eating dries, they will break your heart how they take flies so innocently. They just may be my favorite fish... maybe because of where they live as much as anything.

Nice grayling on an X-caddis. NWT, June 2011.

grayling1743800-0.jpg

grayling1739-0.jpg

Guest Dennis59

Grayling are also my favorite fish to catch. Most of the regular drys are going to work. Flies to have Adams, Griffth Gnat, Must have a Hopper yellow or tan. 4wt just fine. I like my 7.9 1wt. Contrary to beleaf there are garyling over 13in I caught several bigger than that last weekend. Depending what rivers your fishing Bull will be frequenting the same Grayling waters. Have a great time.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

A 4 or 5wt is way overkill, use a 2 or 3wt if you have one. You will not find a fish bigger than 13" anywhere in that area. There's no trick to it, if they are there, they will take. If you're not catching, keep moving.

Sorry didn't realize grayling in that area were so small.

And I think you sound a little condescending. Dennis59 is participating in a Grayling survey right now, taking measurements and DNA samples. So far we've been getting a lot of good news; finding fish in water that had been written off anecdotally, better numbers and sizes than last year in waters we frequent. Besides, Dennis is a pretty darned experienced fly fisher, not some chest thumping kid who needs to one-up everyone around him. If he says 15", I believe him.

Oh, and now that I think about it, most Grayling I've caught have fought with their dorsal fin up. Some switch (up and down) during the fight. Now I'm wondering if those that vary their tactics are the better fighters. More field research, I guess. Darn.

Laura MacPherson's name is familiar, but as far as I know she's not part of this one. We (TU-Edmonton) are partnering with Golder Associates to assess health and distribution of Arctic Grayling and their habitat. We've installed a baker's dozen of Hobotemps, and have 15 teams of anglers spread throughout the Pembina watershed. It'll be a multi-year study; I'm hoping we do the McLeod system next year.