Fly Fusion Forums

Poachers! Co Unavailable

Last night watched four poachers decimating a favorite run using minnows, keeping everything they caught. :$*%&: Called RAP as soon as I saw them and the CO called back promptly but could not come as he was across the city and dealing with a situation. Following up with him today, he said he's the only CO on this week for Calgary. It obvious we need more COs, there has been a hiring freeze for 2 years and there just aren't enough people to be in all the places they need to be. Will be talking to my MLA's office today.

I have a good description of the four and will be spreading the word around. I will also be watching this place on a much more regular basis. We may get em yet.

You can call the CO's in fish creek park! If they arent busy they will respond! When you call RAP if the location is not in the park they do not call the park CO's however i have talked with the CO's in FCP and they have no problem with responding if they aren't busy. Call the FCP office and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A MESSAGE they check it every 30min. they told be they have no issue with going as far south as the extender bridge also they like to get licence plate numbers to watch for them in the park.

If you take pics of them in the "act" and pic's of there license plate.Then they can follow up on it.Chances are the fish are in there freezer.

Couldn't get close enough to take phone pics and I think they live in the area and walk to the river. There was no vehicle at the most obvious access. I left at 10:30 after watching them for over an hour. I didn't want to get surprised on my own in the dark.

You can call the CO's in fish creek park! If they arent busy they will respond! When you call RAP if the location is not in the park they do not call the park CO's however i have talked with the CO's in FCP and they have no problem with responding if they aren't busy. Call the FCP office and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A MESSAGE they check it every 30min. they told be they have no issue with going as far south as the extender bridge also they like to get licence plate numbers to watch for them in the park.

Responding from FCP is a bit of a gray area, apparently. I called them this morning and discussed that. It was out of the park. In the future I will be trying them anyway.

Mybe the staff in the office give that impression but i talked the Park CO directly and he said he was absolutely fine with going outside the park as long as it was confirmed the CO for the area was to busy to make the call.

Thanks for the info! I have the number in my speed dial-403 297-5293.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone campaigned or inquired in the past about additional enforcement for the lower section of the Bow that is, obviously, the most heavily used (and therefore poached) section of the river? While I know there are other streams in need of oversight, it seems that many folks livelihoods depend on this fishery and having more enforcement presence may help deter folks. Perhaps if enough businesses and individuals campaigned and illustrated the amount of revenue this particular stretch of river generates for the local economy and province, perhaps that will be the business case the government needs to support more enforcement.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i should get a ****ing medal from the trout, im 3 for 3 right now! So far i have got some one every weekend for almost a month now!! more to come SUCKERS!

• 4 weeks later...

Though I haven't seen any one lately, I have called report a poacher many times. They have a reward program. Pretty sweet. As soon as I see a bobber (red and white, not thingama...)on a line or a rod propped up on a stick I haul out the phone.

The most ridiculous display of poaching I've seen was a video taken by a fly shop employee of poachers with almost a dozen large rainbows flopping on the bank and they were using live stonefly nymphs. Not sure where they got them. I have to hand it to him for staying calm and pretending he was from out of town. He asked them lot of questions where they kind of hung themselves with the answers, and, he tried valiently to keep them there until the COs showed up. Unfortunately, the CO passed them on their way out of the lot and couldn't catch up to them after. The nice thing is that he kept filming them when they were getting into their vehicles, license plates in full view.

I haven't asked him what the outcome was, but that would be a pretty nice poachstopper cheque. $$$$$

To further the petitioning for more COs, I'm good with having a conservation levy that would be added to our licenses. I'd be fine with an extra $5 a year if it meant another couple of COs. Way too many poachers. I've never seen so many anywhere else in my life. I'd also like to see someone with authority to crack down on rafters. Most don't have life jackets, most are drinking, etc etc etc. All the flotsam in the water that is obviously tuber related (the afore mentioned oars and beer cans). I think it should be manditory for ANY watercraft to require an operators license. That would cut the tuber hatch in half easily. They'd have an easy job. Just sit on the bank and tell people to come ashore. An easy cash cow as photo radar.

Done! :derby racer: