Fly Fusion Forums

Tungsten Humps

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Found some today at the shop, and am tying some evils with tungsten beads, and tungsten humps..anyone had experience with them?

(who need's wire worms, when u have an evil weevil that will be a rock!)

Found some today at the shop, and am tying some evils with tungsten beads, and tungsten humps..anyone had experience with them?

(who need's wire worms, when u have an evil weevil that will be a rock!)

Bought a bunch in BC last year. They work great. All out now so have to look arround for more this winter.

Guest bigbadbrent

i know there is at least one more pack at troutfitters in the 12-14 size..

I find that they're a little oversized, im using their 16-18 size one on a 14 scud, but i don't think they expect you to use it on a scud hook, so might be my problem

What is a tungsten hump? I've never heard of them.

Jeremy has a pattern called the 1 Ton Weevil (think copper john with a tungsten beed). I tied a dozen and, as you say, they sink like a rock

They are kind of teardrop shaped. they form on the hook quite well and have a very streamlined shape. A lot of the guys that tie Czech Nymphs use them for the fast sinkers. Not cheap though.

tungsten_humps.jpg

Cool.

Does anyone know if they sell tungsten wire wrap. Like sub. lead, but tungsten. Seems like you can get the same effect.

I've used the tungsten sheets, but they are rubber like and the thread cuts into them like butter. Still, they also sink like rocks but if you're light on your initial wraps, you can get a nice taper.