Fly Fusion Forums

A Trifecta Of Awesomeness

Well well. 25 above, works all done, no girlfriend or kids to worry about. What is a man to do? Fish the bow. Tonight i experienced three firsts in my short fly fishing career.

#1 Lost 8 brand new hooks in a two hour span.....

#2 seven fish to net in a two hour span.... 10-12 hooked

#3 Went for a nice swim in the bow river with waders on

Stoped at fish tales on my way to the river this afternoon. Only to find Dave and a few others getting all geared up and pretty excited to hit the river. Picked up some pretty golden stone flys and a few black stoneflys for good measure. With everyone in the shop being so excited, and the guy behind the till being so exsaughsted from all the fishing hes been doing, i knew this was a good time to be on the river. I was excited. I pulled up in the parking lot around 5pm, unpacked my gear, clipped off my old tapered leader I have had on for probably a few months now, tied on a brand new one, and began to set up. Only one indicator left, hmm, should be allright with just one tonight. Golden stone fly for the lead fly, and .... a "secret" fly on for the second. Got my waders on and i was heading down to the river. Passing a few other fishermen, baitcasters and fly fisherman, i asked "any luck today?" All replied "Nothing yet!!" I started to wonder if the river would be as good as i had hoped. Got to my favorite location, to find it completely vacant to my suprise. There was a bait caster probably 150-200m downstream of me, but far enough away from "my" spot i wasnt going to bother him. I put my backpack down on the shore, and started off with a few short casts close to the bank. Nothing.. Went deeper and deeper into the pool, and within 5 casts...WHAM..fish on. Beaut rainbow. Put up a heluva fight. Not a very clean release as he rolled in my net, getting his gills caught in my line. Hope he was ok. Five minutes later.....another rainbow, this one putting on an acrobatic display like no other I have seen before.. Again.. Sloppy release. Line wrapped around gills and mouth... Both seemed to swim off decently though. Still, felt bad. Seeing all the action within the ten minutes i had been there, the bait fisherman packed up and left discusted. Couldnt help but smirk a tiny bit. Next cast,,, snag.. tried to free it by walking upstream and gently yanking. Snap. There goes two new hooks...Tie on another two and back at er..Snag....Snap.....FFS.................Another two flies, catch a rainbow, clean release.......cast........snag.................Snap..........FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU

UUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!............Another two NEW hooks.....SNAG............SNAP...........THERE GOES MY ONLY INDICATOR.......floating down the middle of the bow... Allright, enough of this BS. Thank goodness i had the sense of mind to take my iphone out of my wader front pocket... Chucked it on top of my bag while running down the bank...The 3$ indicator was floating in a nice calm peice of water..."You're mine now" i thought. Ran out into the river full speed ahead with my net in hand, ready to net my beloved last indy. Toe hit a giant rock, tried to counter the trip but to no avail. Down i go, face first into the river, with water rushing down my waders. COLD.... Got up, wiped my face, looked in my net to discover at least i manged to rescue my indicator. :) .. Moped all the way back to my rod and tied on another two new hooks... Got a few casts out, somehow ended up with a weird knot in my flyline, Put my rod on the bank and was trying to untangle it when suddenly i felt brownzilla ripping on my line... I managed to set the hook, pull him in and release him all without my rod..What a gorgeous 20+" brown... That made me chuckle a lil bit. All and all it was the most fun / frustrating outing i have ever experienced. I know that :picsplease: .....but i just wanted to share the most bizare night i have ever had fishing. I ended up ripping up a cardboard box and sitting on it the entire way home as to not soak my truck seats with bow water. Walked into the beer store with no shoes on and soaked pants and shirt, got some funny looks but nobody asked. Gotta love Calgary. Thanks for reading :)

PS.... ALL of the fish were caught on my "secret" fly :) Not one took the stonefly.

The 3$ indicator was floating in a nice calm peice of water..."You're mine now" i thought. Ran out into the river full speed ahead with my net in hand, ready to net my beloved last indy. Toe hit a giant rock, tried to counter the trip but to no avail. Down i go, face first into the river, with water rushing down my waders. COLD.... Got up, wiped my face, looked in my net to discover at least i manged to rescue my indicator. :) ..

Dxh, sounds like a memorable fishing trip! :) I was laughing when you went after the 3$ indi and took a plunge. I know it could have been me. :)

BTW, do not forget to put on a tight wading belt (and if your wader has a rubber band on the top, pull it tight)... half full of water wader makes fishing/swimming an extreme sport. ^..^

Dxh, sounds like a memorable fishing trip! :) I was laughing when you went after the 3$ indi and took a plunge. I know it could have been me. :)

BTW, do not forget to put on a tight wading belt (and if your wader has a rubber band on the top, pull it tight)... half full of water wader makes fishing/swimming an extreme sport. ^..^

Hahaha.. Yes it was an experience I will never forget. I did have my belt done up, which I think saved me a little bit. Still was absolutely soaked. I didnt just take a nice little dip, it was a full speed face plant in about 4 feet of water. :) And yes that was one of the many thoughts running through my head on the way back to my rod, "coulda used a big foam fly..idiot" Haha, live and learn :) I only wish someone was there to howl in laughter at me to bring my rage level down at the time.

if you have a TFO rod might I suggest the classic "rod throw" at times like this. A good solid arcing shot into the bush with line dangling and reel singing is enough to make anyone smile! The no questions warranty will have you covered. LOL :)

Hahaha.. Yes it was an experience I will never forget. I did have my belt done up, which I think saved me a little bit. Still was absolutely soaked. I didnt just take a nice little dip, it was a full speed face plant in about 4 feet of water. :) And yes that was one of the many thoughts running through my head on the way back to my rod, "coulda used a big foam fly..idiot" Haha, live and learn :) I only wish someone was there to howl in laughter at me to bring my rage level down at the time.

Tell you what, lets go out one evening this week and give a repeat performance. i'll be sure to bring the video camera, get some youtube going for everyone ;O)

Glad you had a good day of fishing tho!

Gee, I thought it was just me who had days when all kinds of things screw up. Nice story, it reminded me of more than one incident I've had on the Bow. You are also obviously doing lots right to get so many fish!