Fly Fusion Forums

Stinger Hooks

Xplorer

Hey Guys,

I have been fishing all around southern alberta in the last 2 weeks and have found that alot of the bull trout(some cutts too) seem to strike a little short missing the hook and in some cases ripping the rabbit strip off my streamers. So I thought that adding a stinger hook would help. I attached the stinger hook to the main hook using toothy critter steel leader material 15lb.

My question is, should the stinger hook be tied to the rabbit strip or should it be left seperate to move on its own and not hamper the action of the rabbit strip?

Here is a picture, it is not attached to the stinger in this pic.

020-1.jpg

I think it depends on the materials used. With a rabbit strip I would bind it to the trailer or you will find the rabbit strip will twist around the hook and get caught up in the trailer hook. Binding it down will insure it looks and behaves naturally in the water. Nice streamer.

Hey Guys,

I have been fishing all around southern alberta in the last 2 weeks and have found that alot of the bull trout(some cutts too) seem to strike a little short missing the hook and in some cases ripping the rabbit strip off my streamers. So I thought that adding a stinger hook would help. I attached the stinger hook to the main hook using toothy critter steel leader material 15lb.

My question is, should the stinger hook be tied to the rabbit strip or should it be left seperate to move on its own and not hamper the action of the rabbit strip?

Here is a picture, it is not attached to the stinger in this pic.

020-1.jpg

I would make sure to have hook turned up so you dont have a bunch of Tongue Bleeding Trout, great looking fly tho.

Mike Mailey