Fly Fusion Forums

Steelheading 101

Heimdallr

I'm thinking of making a brief and as inexpensive as possible trip to try steelheading for the first time this fall and was hoping some of you guys could help me out. I'm looking for the most basic and most essential information that will help get me into a couple of fish. Questions that pop out to me are: What month should I go? Where should I go? Simplest patterns to tie? Type of water to look for? Gear? Is an 8-10wt rod good enough?

Basically anything that would help a total noobie without getting too technical or advanced. Hopefully this will also serve to help some other people that have considered targeting some mighty steel as well.

I would sincerely appreciate any help.

I'd suggest going out and picking up a copy of A Passion For Steelhead by Dec Hogan and Skeena River Fish and Their Habitat by Allen Gottesfeld and Ken Rabnett. The first one will answer the technique questions and the second will help answer where and when.

I'd suggest going out and picking up a copy of A Passion For Steelhead by Dec Hogan and Skeena River Fish and Their Habitat by Allen Gottesfeld and Ken Rabnett. The first one will answer the technique questions and the second will help answer where and when.

Thanks for the book recommendations headscan. Does anyone else have any information they'd be willing to share? I know some of you guys head out west...

Month- Sept or Oct

Where- Smithers or Terrace

Flies- Egg sucking leech, bunny leech, alaskabou style, the list is endless

Type of water- holding type water and finding it is the key to steelhead

gear- 8 or 9wt is fine. spey rod is probably best but I get by with a single handed.

In Smithers go to Oscars Sporting Goods- they are very helpful.

Mike

I'm thinking of making a brief and as inexpensive as possible trip to try steelheading for the first time this fall and was hoping some of you guys could help me out. I'm looking for the most basic and most essential information that will help get me into a couple of fish. Questions that pop out to me are: What month should I go? Where should I go? Simplest patterns to tie? Type of water to look for? Gear? Is an 8-10wt rod good enough?

Basically anything that would help a total noobie without getting too technical or advanced. Hopefully this will also serve to help some other people that have considered targeting some mighty steel as well.

I would sincerely appreciate any help.

one thing I found out when I was there is they like to hold in the back of runs instead of traditional "trouty" looking water. look for walking speed water where the whole river is flat all the way across and the same speed, then if there are big boulders or deflections in that type of water you are in the prime zone!

Thanks for the input guys. I already run an 8wt for pike so I can use that which is good. Also nice to see the patterns to use are more or less the kinds I was thinking. Any colours in particular seem to be more effective on steelhead? Pink?

I know it sounds like I want all the answers handed to me, but really I just want to make sure I can get into 1 or 2 fish if I make the trip. I'm definitely willing to explore and experiment once I'm there.

Thanks again.

I know it sounds like I want all the answers handed to me, but really I just want to make sure I can get into 1 or 2 fish if I make the trip.

Just remember they don't call it the fish of 1000 casts for nothing. Lots of guys get skunked their first trip for steel.

Yeah, if you go out there expecting to catch one, you'll get skunked. The smallest part of steelheading is actually catching fish.

Well said...so true.

Going back to the original post...In my opinion, I think the first trip is all about gaining experience and learning. You don't want the success of your trip being contingent on you hooking one or two fish. What you do learn on your first trip will be transferable to future outings as you continue to build on your experience and that is very valuable. Most people will likely agree that you have to put in your time before you start catching fish. Having said that, the learning process can be very enjoyable and rewarding along the way. It's just important to go into it with the right mindset. Steelhead fishing is definitely not about instant gratification.

One thing I would add in terms of fishing advice is to keep moving. Don't stand and cast in the same spot. Take a couple of steps down after every cast.

My two cents.

Gillraker

I was on the Fraser Salmon fishing Pink, Chinooks, and Chum, when I was treated to a Steally, what a treat. Buddy was right, not looking for one, and Bingo, there it is. Love it, but I love our Bow bows ( who I have been led to believe have a strain of stealhead in them. Correct me if I am wrong.

I was on the Fraser Salmon fishing Pink, Chinooks, and Chum, when I was treated to a Steally, what a treat. Buddy was right, not looking for one, and Bingo, there it is. Love it, but I love our Bow bows ( who I have been led to believe have a strain of stealhead in them. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong!

C

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll have a good time whether I catch any fish or not, but to catch one would be nice. I have a blast any time I hit the open road and/or fish so that isn't a problem.

...I always thought muskie were the fish of a thousand casts...

Guest Jeremie
No, he's not. There was some kind of accident transplanting steelhead smolts back in the day and a bunch of them ended up in the bow.

That is a rumor, they are a different strain of fish. I have read a few different magazines and articles about it and they are infact, NOT steelhead.

Umm, last time I checked rainbow trout and steelhead are both oncorhynchus mykiss. The only real differentiator is that one is anadromous and the other isn't (guess which is which). Some steelhead smolt also remain resident, so even if some of the rainbows in the Bow are "steelhead" they aren't really because they never went to the ocean making the argument pretty useless.

• Like 1

Guest Jeremie

So then what are redband? Gerrard? Athabasca? Blackwater? Pennask? Technically they're all steelhead. Guess I've already caught enough steelhead for a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...