Fly Fusion Forums

Outbound Short With 15' Skagit Tip

Eelpout

I am just curious. I am mulling over a switch purchase and have an Outbound Short 9wt line. Would adding the 15-ft Skagit floating tip from Rio effectively create a Scandi line?

The two tips I was thinking of would either add 95 or 109 gr to the 375 of the Outbound (so a 470 or 485 grain head).

Has anyone tried this? Would it work as a Scandi, Skagit, or simply fail?

A couple years ago I bought an Outbound Short to use as a single hand spey line on a 9'6" rod. It failed miserably. After talking to Simon Gawesworth about it last year he explained that the Short has a front-loaded taper which is inherently bad for spey casting. The reason being is that it's difficult for the rear of the line in your D-loop to move that heavy weight at the bottom and aerialize it properly. Go to the Rio site and compare the line profile of the Outbound Short to any of the actual spey lines and you'll see what I mean.

a scandi has a longer front taper with the balance of the weight at the backend of the line.

This help to load the rod and focuses the weight at the top of your D loop.

by adding the two lines, your weight is allover the place. the line will hing aswell.

take a look at the Rio Spey site and look at undersanding spey lines.

have a good one,

Fishnut1

like others have mentioned the outbound isnt the best line but it would work! the big thing is if you want to great a scandi you need a longer front taper.. adding a floating tip from rio would work and it will cast some decent tips but that line is better suited for overhand casting! a airflo 40+ has bin my go to switch line for the past 3-4 years!!! if i need better turnover with tips i typically take about 5-6 feet off the front... i typically line my switches 1-2 line sizes over.. so a 7-8wt line on a 6wt switch etc...