Fly Fusion Forums

My Floating Line Is Not Floating Very Well

gentlemang

Earlier this year I purchased a spool of Scientific anglers 5 wt foward floating line. I like the way that it casts with my rod, but I am noticing that the end 5 to 6' is not floating very well. I have cleaned it a couple of times but I did not notice a difference. I did not see any cracks in it either. Any tips to revive would be helpful.

Which specific line? Was it one of their lower end lines? Did you cut off any of the end at all?

Either way, check to see what the warrantee is for that line and return it to where you bought it and buy a better (higher quality) line.

P

Earlier this year I purchased a spool of Scientific anglers 5 wt foward floating line. I like the way that it casts with my rod, but I am noticing that the end 5 to 6' is not floating very well. I have cleaned it a couple of times but I did not notice a difference. I did not see any cracks in it either. Any tips to revive would be helpful.

Once the line is thoroughly clean and dry, apply a drop of zap-a-gap to the tip to seal the core. Get a paste floatant (I use Loon Payette, but Mucilin is very popular and effective) and treat the front 6 feet of the flyline, and the butt section of your leader, every couple of hours of fishing. Even on a $100 flyline, the tip sinks eventually.

Depending on where you purchased it, some places (like Fish tales - not sure of the others) save your purchases on their POS computer and can pull it up.

P

Thanks for the tips. The line is one of the better SA lines, definately not an entry level line. Ill see about digging up the receipt. If not, ill take your advise and see what I can do with it on my own.