Fly Fusion Forums

Year Round On The Bow?

Guest ArtVandelay

So I was sadly thinking about the end of the season last night as I was walking back to my car after netting my fisrt "big" fish (a 16 incher...which is HUGE for me!). But some of you fish year round, don't you? There's no time of year the Bow is closed, if I remember the regs correctly. Anyway, then I thought maybe my season doesn't have to end. For those of you who winter fish, can you tell me a bit about your rig? Waders? Do you use a special line? It's gotta be uncomfortable! Thanks guys...you've been inspiratioinal!

So I was sadly thinking about the end of the season last night as I was walking back to my car after netting my fisrt "big" fish (a 16 incher...which is HUGE for me!). But some of you fish year round, don't you? There's no time of year the Bow is closed, if I remember the regs correctly. Anyway, then I thought maybe my season doesn't have to end. For those of you who winter fish, can you tell me a bit about your rig? Waders? Do you use a special line? It's gotta be uncomfortable! Thanks guys...you've been inspiratioinal!

Fish all year round brother. Make sure its at least 0 or warmer (for me) otherwise your guides ice up quite a bit and your hands will die. Nymphing works but you have to go DEEP. Neoprene waders are handy. I cant use em as im allergic but i can cast quite far. Just make sure you release the fish as quick as possible due to the cold air/water freezes scenario.

The winter is awesome on the Bow - some of the best days I've ever had have been in February. You usually wind up nymphing all the time, but H2O, Gokaroach, Glenbow and I had a great day fishing midges to rising trout right near 22X in January last year. Sometimes streamers are the ticket too. The fish sit in different water but they can still be caught regularly.

Dress warm, load up with hot tea or coffee in a thermos, and head down. Can't beat it.

Guest Rocknbugs

Winter fishing is great on the Bow. Nymph rig set up with a San Juan and a smaller beadhead of some sort.....Evil Weevil, Prince, Hares Ear. I've had success with streamers as well. 0 and above are good temps., as SanJuan mentioned guides start to freeze, you will take numerous breaks to try and warm up your feet as well but its all worth it. Biggest thing I think is that there cant be any slush to cast through, if the river looks like a slurpee dont go.

Nymphing can be really good on the Bow in winter. I have had some of my best days for numbers, with 20+ fish days. Look for the longer deep and slow pools. The fish pile up in there, hence the name, wintering pools. If you can locate a good pool and a few fish, odds are there are a LOT of fish in that particular pool.

The trout are not going to expend much energy to move for food so you basicly have to put yours flies on their nose.

As far as rigs go, a double SJW weighted is all you need. Other nymphs work well but will not outfish this combo in winter IMO.

For dress, I wear Simms gore-tex breathables and double layer underneath with polartech or polypropolene underwear. Fingerless wool gloves and a toque are essential. I prefer a time between 10-3. A chinook really activates the fish!!!!

Oh yeah! I trade in taking a few beer for a thermos of coffee!!!!!!

Cheers

hey Jayvee,

head out to the bow river cleanup event next weekend. you'll learn how to catch monster fish nymphing using toolman's techniques and find fishing partners to show you how to winter fish! did i mention the free food? and the prizes?

bring your friends! go cleanup! hurray for exclamation marks!

I save my streamer box for the winter mostly. Big brown or black or olive buggers are pretty much all I use once the snow hits. Nymphing works well too I'm sure, but I rarely feel the need to change from streamers. I caught more trout this february than I did this july. The key to cold water fishing in the Bow is to keep it deep. The trout typically won't move an inch to take your fly, so you've gotta put it right in their mouths for them. A quick sinking-tip line is helpful, as is some vaseline on your guides and tip, it'll help keep water from beading and freezing on your rod.

I'm always disapointed at the end of a summer on the Bow, but I know I'll be slamming the big ones all winter.

Of course, Toolman's spey techniques must take the cake in the winter, he can swing a streamer alot further than I can with my one-hander.

I gotta say winter can be awesome on the Bow. Like Rusty said, we had a ball of a day in early Feb on dries no less! Nymphing was stellar too, but ya gotta remember don't go if it's too cold like -5 or below. Stick to 0 or above. Also, slushy river is no fun. Other than that, tee-up with one of us over winter & keep the fun goin.

Oh, and don't fish behind Max.

The bow river isn't really any better during winter than the rest of the year (fishing wise), the fish are just holding in different water and there tends to be a lot of them congrugated in those waters. Its one thing to say I'm going fishing in -5 but getting out there is another story. The coldest day I fished in was -15 last year and it was definitely tough. Freezing guides, frozen reel, frozen waders, and the worst frozen laces, I couldn't get my boots off for a while, I had to melt the ice off with my lighter. You must also have to think of all the hazards while fishing during the winter months. Frostbite is an easy one, stripping in wet line can get you fingers pretty cold pretty quick. You also have to be aware slips, as snow starts to collect on your felt on your boots, any bit of ice seems like you just stepped on some serious slick oil! Chunks of ice floating down the river as well can be very hazardous, as if your not paying attetion and a large peice of ice comes floating right at you, you can find yourself in some trouble.

But anyway if you do head out dress warm, wear thermals if you got them and as for your hands go and buy some of those glove warmers and keep them in your either in your gloves or in your pockets. And there allready seems to be some good fishing tips on here so I'll leave it at that.

Guest Rocknbugs
Max and I pulled out 54 fish one day out of one hole in less that 2 hours between the 2 of us.

No *hit....winter can be deadly. What got me into flyfishing about 8 years ago was a buddy of mine took out on a winter day, it was about 3 degrees.he caught 37 fish on the fly and I caught about 20 on a San Juan below a red and white bobber on a spin caster, that was it I have not seen the spin caster since and I was addicted instantly.

Thanks for all your input. I'm totally stoked, especially after thinking I'd have a 3-4 month lay off. Heck, I'm almost wishing for the cold weather now! ;)

Thanks guys

JV