Fly Fusion Forums

Rant - Parks

RANT alert!!

It is not that this is about significant or major transgressions, more just to get the issue off my chest, and allow me to focus on those things that matter.

I was at Upper Kan yesterday, gorgeous day, perfect for a wildlife spotting foray. Drove to the South lot on the UK, wonderful views, truly perfect. A few fishers, wondered how they were doing. Then I noticed a young fella sitting in front of a fire pit – probably part of a group as there were about 3 rods standing against the table. Good, I thought, someone staying with the fire, instead of leaving it unattended.

My perception of the scene changed when the fella went down to the high waterline, and grabbed a bunch of driftwood, dragged them back and proceeded to add the biggest to his fire. Ironically, my view of him was partly blocked by the “unlawful to gather or burn vegetation or deadfall” sign.

What part of “PARK” do people not get. In a previous trip, I watched as a middle aged family group labored to get a large stump from the dam at the north lot into their truck, cuz “this would look nice in mom’s flowers” . Camping at Bear Creek PP near Kelowna recently, I spoke out to a 50yr old couple when they let their dog run to chase the geese – their angry reaction was “did I want my granddaughter to step in all the goose poop?”

It’s a park people, and not your personal landscape/firewood supply, dog run.

There, I feel better. Albeit still feel helpless.

Yeah I have witnessed one too many times at back country campsites (within a PP) where buddy is chopping down trees and deadfall for his fire (for all those that don't know you are not allowed to have fires in PPs outside of a campsite that has an official fire pit and there are not many campsites that still have fire pits)... Green wood doesn't burn all that great, dude! <--poke--< <--poke--< . Plus those fires scar up the land (hey Giovanne!!)

P