Fly Fusion Forums

Worms

j5ep00

well i have noticed that after the rain there are a ton of worms on the streets,

i figure that these worms are going therw the storm sewers and into the river.

now what i would like to knwo is what you guys use to tie a worm.

im thinking yarn, are there any recomendations? or does anyone have a good worm pattern?

thanks alot,

chris

Guest Rocknbugs

Mustad ALL AROUND ref#37160 size #6 hooks, & 24 guage red wire is all that you need, I have fished a few differant Worms but this one is by far the best.

i have a couple of red floss ones, a red wire wrap one is heavy the other is really light - not sure but i think it is a plastic wrapping, it doesnt sink and i have a few brownish pink cheinelle (sp?).

in my newly accquired tying glass bead flies, there are a few worm patterns tied with beads, dont know how productive they are. but they look pretty ;)

What do you find to be the most productive SJW. Chenille, Floss, Wire, Cobra Cord, a combo of those?

I've had my best success with wire wrap and chenille both.. but always with a bead head. I don't think I've ever caught a trout on a non bead head SJW.

I've always used wrapped wire in the past on a straight shank with a bead. I've tried the 'All Rounds' but found that for one reason or another they seem to tangle with my dropper more than a straight shank. (I tie my droppers to the eye and not the shank...might be why)

All that said I probably get a higher percentage of fish on the dropper anyways, and not the worm,