Fly Fusion Forums

Hip Resurfacing/replacement Surgery

I had total replacements done (5 months apart) back in 2006. Based on my experience, all I can say is you will not regret it. The way things were headed before my operations, it was going to be the end of walk and wade fishing for me. I had no complications and the recovery and rehab went really well. The second operation was done in October, and I was on the water for the winter solstice fishin in December. Since then, I haven't looked back. The resurfacing procedure is less invasive than a total replacement, so it could be even quicker for you. Anyway, all the best for a speedy recovery, and many more years of fishing on the new hip. Terry

I had it offered due to a misdiagnosis but never had it done - never needed it.

Age doesn't seem to be a factor with replacements at all. I know a woman in Edmonton that had both of her hips replaced last year at age 76 (total replacements), the recovery took a little longer of course due to her age but all is good. She's up and dancing now, nothing slows her down.

I know a few more that had it done, they never regretted it. Just follow doctors orders and good luck

had the birmingham done in Nov. A couple of things First , and biggest, if you get the Birmingham, check with your surgeon as to the recovery protocol. Mine had only feather wieght bearing allowed for six weeks. Most surgeons go for full weight bearing after discharge with the full hip replacement option.

Mine was a right hip, and the surgeon also prohibited driving for three months.

These would have been good to know. Wouldnt have done anything different though. Biggest benefit is being able to sleep at nite.

Also, I thought since I am in decent shape, and reasonably active, I figured that by just being active, I didnt need to do the pre op exercises as vigourously. WRONG. apparantly the process is to instill muscle memory, as well as flex and stretch, so that post op, the muscles know the drill.

my 2 cents

i have heard the best way to prepare is to a spend as much time as possible cut throat fishing,sitting by camp fires and most of all drinking jagerbombs it helps to pre lube the hip before surgery.

I say BS......If that was true I wouldn't have a hip problem!!

I say BS......If that was true I wouldn't have a hip problem!!

It's ok Al i'll just wheel you down to the river and teach you the "Tim Hortons Nymphing Technique ©"

As long as you do the same for me when I need my knees done.

It's ok Al i'll just wheel you down to the river and teach you the "Tim Hortons Nymphing Technique ©"

As long as you do the same for me when I need my knees done.

Spending too much time on yer knees, Dave??? :angel:smail:

Hey Mr. B good luck with the surgery

I've a total Hip and knee and both work abolutely amazing - the best advice I could give is be diligent with the pre and post surgery physio excercises - the range of motion you gain in recovery is what you end up having to live with so the pain during that stage pays off huge in the long run. The first couple days after surgery are pretty rough but it gets better quite fast - had mine at P Lougheed and the staff were all excellent.

Enjoy the free massages you get at airport security whenever you fly LOL