Fly Fusion Forums

Upper Bow -put-ins/ Take Outs

Sort of...

You need to park up top and walk down a pretty steep road maybe 300+ m or so... I've done it with a 6 person raft and a canoe making a couple of trips to shuttle everything down...

P

That section of river is really hit and miss. Some places just look so good, but hard to find fish (maybe no fish Pacres:el:toro). If the structures are in south, they would hold thousand of fish.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe just walk it to try it out? I have seen a couple corners that I could sit on and practice casting my spey rod I guess?

Sort of...

You need to park up top and walk down a pretty steep road maybe 300+ m or so... I've done it with a 6 person raft and a canoe making a couple of trips to shuttle everything down...

P

How was the fishing when you did it?

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe just walk it to try it out? I have seen a couple corners that I could sit on and practice casting my spey rod I guess?

Yep. You could. There is a giant, deep, deep, hole behind the gas plant. I practice my spey casts there. Take the turn off from the 1A at the war memorial. Follow that gravel road to the Bow River regs sign and walk down through the field. Also, the run up above the river avenue bridge in Cochrane is perfect spey water. Who knows? Maybe you will hit one of those big bulls in there.

Put it this way, I'd much rather float the Banff/Canmore section where I'd have to pay for a national park fishing license and remove all lead from my possession!!

P

How was the fishing when you did it?

I should add that I've floated this section many times over the last 20 years and would hesitate to do it again, as the past several times there has been too many A * * holes in jet boats blasting around (around blind corners, etc.), not slowing down when passing canoes, rafts, etc. and having a general disregard for the safe operation of a water craft, as well as a lack of respect for others on the river. Add to it that when you stop off for lunch at Wildcat Island it's full of s h i t and toilet paper b/c of the further lack of respect that some people have...

P

Hey guys , may I add this little ditty , i'm currently in the middle of my first reading of what I consider my " Bible " for this river , you know what I mean......I finally and very recently found a copy and just a few pages ago it mentioned how their is(was) " A healthy population of brown trout, whiteys and brookies as far as the confluence with the K. River . Between there and Bearspaw dam ....less productive and appealling ."

It mentions how the dams " In this section of river STILL cause severe fluctuations in H20 levels , and water qualities unfavourable for the fish .

I haven't been up there . And truth be told , from what I understand , there may actually be cutties , if not cutbows , and maybe the odd ...lunker of a bull anywhere within the river . I`m sure you all propably know that better than I , Haha

the most beauty of backgrounds and pools , i can only imagine

and please pardon me for actually using any sort of reference material and or quotes . I figure snippets may be fair game as it certainly is out in the public for print , anyhow .....I'm gonna clam it.....

may your reels scream

Hey guys , may I add this little ditty , i'm currently in the middle of my first reading of what I consider my " Bible " for this river , you know what I mean......I finally and very recently found a copy and just a few pages ago it mentioned how their is(was) " A healthy population of brown trout, whiteys and brookies as far as the confluence with the K. River . Between there and Bearspaw dam ....less productive and appealling ."

It mentions how the dams " In this section of river STILL cause severe fluctuations in H20 levels , and water qualities unfavourable for the fish .

I haven't been up there . And truth be told , from what I understand , there may actually be cutties , if not cutbows , and maybe the odd ...lunker of a bull anywhere within the river . I`m sure you all propably know that better than I , Haha

the most beauty of backgrounds and pools , i can only imagine

and please pardon me for actually using any sort of reference material and or quotes . I figure snippets may be fair game as it certainly is out in the public for print , anyhow .....I'm gonna clam it.....

may your reels scream

And quotes I may have used reference from were solely from the "Blue Ribbon Bow" by Jim Mclennan .

It is a great read , and I truly admire the fact that there is a book published on this great river and ideas and facts researched in the creation of this book . Learned from years on it , in it ...and in tune with the conservation of the Bow river . Ooops , my bad , theres another topic for that

cheers