Fly Fusion Forums

Early Morning Fishing, Inner City, Advice Needed

alhuger

All,

My days are getting longer of late and my ability to hit the bow after work in the evening is getting pretty limited. As a result I've decided to fit in some early morning fishing around where I live, which is the inner city. I live in walking distance of the both the bow and elbow and am looking at hitting them somewhere between 5:30 - 6:00 in the morning for an hour or two fish each day before work (reality permitting). The problem though is that I have never fished either body of water early in the morning and am unsure what to start with. My time is limited so experimentation will be costly. Any advice? I am assuming the water is chilly enough to slow down any heavy hatches so am I looking at nymphing and maybe streamers? Any advice would be appreciated.

-al

I would try Nymphing or Swinging a #12 Backswimmer, with a #16-18 Pheasant Tail or Black Copper John, both with rubber legs, as the droppers. Add a split shot above the first fly to get it down to the bottom and you will find trout with this rig for sure.

Good Luck!

hey dude ive had luck fishing streamers in the downtown stretches bow buggers and clousers were best. nymphing teh chop will birng ya some whitties forsure and a trout here and there. best bets are smaller stones and juans 10-12, pheasent tails hares ears and any other dark or light nymph in a 16 or 18. goodluck dude

I have not seen much going on with the Browns yet, other than kyped jaws starting to become pronounced and beautifull colors coming in on them. Their spawning cycle is prompted mainly by water temps and light conditions. When water temps hit 48F-50F, they will start the migration and subsequent staging in mid October for the main event. Most of the Browns on the Bow will spawn in the city and come from as far away as below Carseland. We should start to see them migrating in the next few weeks, with the peak spawn historically bieng around the end of October, first week of November, depending on conditions. Most will over winter in the city, then migrate back downstream in early spring.