Fly Fusion Forums

Chronie Rigs For Lakes

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

Let's say you only fished two chronies under an indicator. Would you tie them eye to eye or bend to eye (if you get my drift)? If you tied them eye to eye then the top fly would sort of sit sideweays in the water column. If you tied them bend to eye then the top fly would sit straight up and down. Or do you feel it doesn't matter at all?

for chronies I like tying off the bend: the reasoning behind that, the bead on the chronie imitates a gas bubble which the insect uses to get from the bottom of the lake to the surface. When it is suspended in the water column of the lake, it is basically "hanging" from that bubble, therefore, your fly should look good to the fish if it is sitting straight up and down as opposed to sideways.

For nymphs, I use eye to eye. :)

no i fish scuds under an indicator i hardly ever find sinking lines useful in lake fishing unless trolling or in deep water retriving chronies straight up from the bottom. 80% of my lake fishing is with a floating line and long leaders with split shots if i want to get down a little.